What would you do?

Diane

Just watched quite a shocking article on Today Tonight or A Current Affair or something similar. Basically they employed various actors to pretend they were beating up a homeless guy at the side of the road, in broad daylight, and another couple who were pretending they were having quite a violent domestic argument, with the guy threatening to throw the woman off the bridge, getting physically violent towards her, and an older guy supposedly having a heart attack in a public park and collapsing, and watched to see how many passers by would intervene.

Shocking because of how few people did anything, how few people even stopped, how many just walked on by hastily, looking the other way.

I think it was filmed in Sydney, but it made me think - what would I do if I came across such a thing in the park? I'd like to think I wouldn't be one of those who pretended to see nothing, and at least shouted at the perpetrator to stop, even if I stayed out of reach, but I just don't know. I guess if I had the dog with me I might feel a bit more confident, but how much would I get involved? As a woman, who, despite being as tall as most men, and with quite a bit of self-defense training, would I just feel that would expose me to too much risk??

I hope I never have to find out, but it did make me think! Anyone been in that kind of situation? What did you do? If not, what do you think you would do?

Guest cazzie

Hi Diane,

Wow! Isn't it a scary world out there? I'd hate to think that no-one would help me if I got attacked - mind you, I am strong and tall and would probably scare them off!

Seriously, I have intervened before, a group of lads were beating the hell out of another lad in the street and I was so incensed that I waded in, screamed blue murder at them and dragged the poor lad off with me and stayed with him until I was sure he was ok. He was so gateful at the time and ten years later we met accidentally and he was still very grateful. I'd hate to think what injuries he would have sustained had I not intervened. Of course people might think it was a stupid thing to do, but I was adrenaline charged and could not stop myself. I have no regrets.

On another occasion, I was driving along and an old woman was in the middle of the road. She had fallen and hurt herself but people were just driving past and even swerving to avoid her! I don't know how they can live with their consciences, I really don't. I stopped, picked her up and called for an ambulance. Hardly difficult but definitely the humane thing to do.

I despair of society sometimes, I really do. Hopefully, all of us PIAers will always do the right thing and help folk out, but then again, we read about so many people who end up getting hurt for intervening in anything these days. It's a tough call, but I know I would have to do the right thing and help.

My (skinny, little) son in law went to the rescue of my daughters neighbour a couple of weeks ago. She was being kicked and punched by a couple of large guys who had got in her flat and my SIL got them off her but got pushed down a flight of metal stairs by them, and hit on the back of the head with a wooden bar, then pushed through my daughters lounge window for his efforts. He had quite a few injuries and the police and ambulance were called but thankfully he's ok. The cops arrested and charged one guy, and know who the other is. SIL is on the mend now, but the blow to the back of his head was a worry as he is severely epileptic. Would he do it again? Of course he would, without any hesitation. I'm bloody proud of him for going to help.

Now what I had to pay to have my daughters window mended is another very frightening story in itself!

Oh god Sharon, good on him for going to her help, and how awful that he got so hurt for his trouble.

Must admit with guns and knives etc growing in prevalence, it would make me stop and think - I really don't know what the best thing to do is, but I guess you kind of act on instinct a lot of the time - you must be very proud that your son in law has such selfless instincts.

And Cazzie, I can just picture you like one of those ancient Berserkers, so incensed and wading into the fray - how brave was that? - and no wonder the lad was grateful, reckon you've earned your halo there!

I remember reading some advice somewhere about driving in the Outback - if you see someone lying at the side of the road, it said, don't stop to help as it could be an ambush - keep driving to the nearest civilisation and phone for help from there! Probably just scaremongering, but again, don't know if I'd be able to just drive past.

Diane

Guest Lisado

As I put on PIA the other day- my 8 yr old was threatened with knives by 10 & 11 yr olds in the street, who said they were going to kill him and they like watching babies and children being tortured!!!! Had my son not called the police himself - I would have gone and throttled the kids as I would if I saw the kids do that to anyone other child.

I would help someone in the street if they looked ill, however I wouldn't interfere in domestic. I know someone who did and they both turned on her and broke her jaw. I also have another friend in Birmingham who stepped in to stop a fight and he was the one who ended up in hospital!!

In those situations I would call the police, however, when it comes tokids I would have to step in, regardless of the outcome!

It is a tough call as when you have kids yourself and you read so many stories of people trying to help and end up dead - it makes you think that could happen to you!

Lisa

Guest cazzie

'And Cazzie, I can just picture you like one of those ancient Berserkers, so incensed and wading into the fray - how brave was that? - and no wonder the lad was grateful, reckon you've earned your halo there!'

To be honest, in those days I used to suffer terribly from PMT and God help anyone who stepped in my way! I'm much calmer these days though...

About five years ago, I was in a pub and a couple were having a domestic; he was swearing at her and raising his voice. No-one, not even the people working behind the bar said a thing. After a few minutes of this and the girl becoming increasingly distressed (she had a young baby in her arms too), I just couldn't stand it. I felt that the men were being wimps - including my then partner who said he was not prepared to interfere for fear of repercussion - so I went straight up to them and said to her - 'you do realise that you have a choice here, you don't have to put up with this, no-one has the right to talk to you like this...' etc The guy raised his voice further and told me to 'F*** off and who the hell did I think I was, an interfereing cow, should mind my own effing business.' Honestly, you could have heard a pin drop! Total silence. I shouted for someone to call the manager, who then strode over and told the guy in no uncertain terms that if he said one more word, he was out.

He did calm down, but the atmosphere was horrible and of course we were anxious, but that was it.

I felt he needed to be put in his place and she needed to know that she didn't have to put up with a louse like that.

It must be hard when you lose your temper in public, but definitely not worth it.