Childrens Dentist

hoopster

Hello all

Having benefitted enormously from this site over the past few months (Thanks to everyone who contributes!:notworthy:), and especially now that we have finally arrived in Adelaide (16th December 2009), I thought it was about time I contributed to the forum with something that other people may find useful!

Unfortunately, my 7 year old lad had a fall in the house on Saturday (thanks to the enthusiastic 4 year old younger brother on his back!) and he chipped both his front teeth - adult teeth as well! Anyway, after a bit of panicking and some help from our friendly landlord (you know who you are - thankyou!) we managed to speak to the out-of-hours emergency dental clinic. They offered advice and were very helpful and then told us of the local clinic to attend first thing Monday to get it looked at.

After making an appointment on the telephone, we went along yesterday and got his teeth looked at by the very professional and helpful staff at the Dental Clinic in Glenelg. They did a fantastic job fixing his teeth and it was a bit of a shock when they informed me it was free of charge!

Apparently any emergency dental work on children is free. They also informed us that for the kids treatment, we can go back to that dental clinic or another more local to us and they charge a one off fee of just $37 per visit, regardless of what treatment is required. Our 4 year old will also be able to benefit as there is no charge whatsoever for pre-school kids.

This was all news to us. We assumed that we would be paying full whack for the kids and when we do finally get our healthcare sorted, that we would have to go private for the children as well. It seems it's just the adults that will need that cover.

Hope this is of use to some of you with children!

Cheers

Guest Nick11

A word of warning though. I used them when we first came and they said everything was fine with the kids - no need to worry. Now I knew this wasn't the case with my eldest as I was told back in th uk of the problems she had.

I know of quite a few parents who have used them and felt they were not getting quality of care with them. Treatments were overlooked.

As I say this is just my experience and now having used a private dentist - I can see the difference in the quality of care and treatment.

That's excellent news and glad you got it sorted out for your lad.

My two attend the "school dentisty service" - which I think must be a similar thing as it also costs $37 a visit. This is actually based at the primary school, but is available to any child of school age, including those at senior school. However, they only see the kids for regular checkups every two years or so and as we used to go every six months in the UK, I thought this wasn't quite enough. I have taken them to private dentists in between - and although the check up is usually quoted as around $40, one particular dentist added in all sorts of extras, ended up costing me $200 a child! Not been back to that one!!

Now that both of mine are teenagers though, the government sends through an annual voucher, worth something like $125 each, so I get them checked each year using those at a private dentist (not all accept the voucher, you may need to phone around) as well as at the school clinic every two years. I try and space the different visits so they have about 9 months between.

Orthodontics, as far as I know, are not covered though, so if your child might need a brace or any sort of work like that, you will probably need to look into private cover as well.

Guest Nick11

I was telling to my ozzie friend about this yesterday and she said that up to the age of 13 children do not have their teeth cleaned or polished under the school dentistry service.

I use my mutual community card and my kids have them polished and checked twice a year. The polish takes about 45 mins - they are very thorough - cost me about $70 a year.

Guest The Pickles
Hello all

Having benefitted enormously from this site over the past few months (Thanks to everyone who contributes!:notworthy:), and especially now that we have finally arrived in Adelaide (16th December 2009), I thought it was about time I contributed to the forum with something that other people may find useful!

Unfortunately, my 7 year old lad had a fall in the house on Saturday (thanks to the enthusiastic 4 year old younger brother on his back!) and he chipped both his front teeth - adult teeth as well! Anyway, after a bit of panicking and some help from our friendly landlord (you know who you are - thankyou!) we managed to speak to the out-of-hours emergency dental clinic. They offered advice and were very helpful and then told us of the local clinic to attend first thing Monday to get it looked at.

After making an appointment on the telephone, we went along yesterday and got his teeth looked at by the very professional and helpful staff at the Dental Clinic in Glenelg. They did a fantastic job fixing his teeth and it was a bit of a shock when they informed me it was free of charge!

Apparently any emergency dental work on children is free. They also informed us that for the kids treatment, we can go back to that dental clinic or another more local to us and they charge a one off fee of just $37 per visit, regardless of what treatment is required. Our 4 year old will also be able to benefit as there is no charge whatsoever for pre-school kids.

This was all news to us. We assumed that we would be paying full whack for the kids and when we do finally get our healthcare sorted, that we would have to go private for the children as well. It seems it's just the adults that will need that cover.

Hope this is of use to some of you with children!

Cheers

Is this the dental clinic on Jetty Road? I just called them to enquire about a check up appointment for my 4 year old and was told the charge was $40... What do you know that I don't? ;)