Working hours for tradies

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

Hi

Just had a big " debate" with my husband as he has been asked to work overtime again on Saturday. Now he gets no pay fir doing this and it's becoming more and more regular

I've told him to leave but he says that all trades have to work Saturday's so there is no point in leaving. Is this true?

Michelle

Guest guest569

No pay ?? He must be on a fixed salary.

I only work on a saturday if its a local job and i can be in at 7am and done by 11. Its a nice little top up !!!

Guest shella_n

Yea he is on a fixed salary ( but not a good one) and quite frankly I think it takes the absolute p**s that they expect him to work Saturday's

Guest Guest5035

if he's on a fixed salary then he should be able to take time off in lieu of the extra hours worked, ie if he works a total of 48 hours in a week then his normal hours are say 38 then he gets 10 in lieu.

stevo

Guest shella_n

I'd say he works about 55 hours a week and gets paid for 38. There is no time in leiu, no bonus, no wage rise yet ( been there 9 months) nothing, nothing, nothing

Guest Guest5035
I'd say he works about 55 hours a week and gets paid for 38. There is no time in leiu, no bonus, no wage rise yet ( been there 9 months) nothing, nothing, nothing

:Randy-git:think he's getting shafted as they say

think its time for seek.com.au

stevo

Guest kfoley0681

my husband is a tradie and worked for a few companies they all expected him to work sat and sometimes sunday but sat is time and half and double time sundays! would definatly say move on we were told you dont get a pay rise regulay move on!

Hi

Just had a big " debate" with my husband as he has been asked to work overtime again on Saturday. Now he gets no pay fir doing this and it's becoming more and more regular

I've told him to leave but he says that all trades have to work Saturday's so there is no point in leaving. Is this true?

Michelle

Is this his first job since arriving in Australia?

Does he enjoy his job? Does he want to leave?

Are his skills in demand, can he easily get another job elsewhere?

Guest Guest5035
Is this his first job since arriving in Australia?

Does he enjoy his job? Does he want to leave?

Are his skills in demand, can he easily get another job elsewhere?

He might enjoy his job, but his wife nevers sees him, and he is getting ripped off in wages, conditions and expectations.

Are his skills in demand and can he get another job, he'll never know if he doesn't try.

Heres a job he might like in his field

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/stonemason-kitchen-bathroom-installer/in/adelaide-adelaide/20043777

stevo

Guest shella_n
He might enjoy his job, but his wife nevers sees him, and he is getting ripped off in wages, conditions and expectations.

Are his skills in demand and can he get another job, he'll never know if he doesn't try.

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/stonemason-kitchen-bathroom-installer/in/adelaide-adelaide/20043777

stevo

Hi

Nod for that. Problem is that we r on a sponsored visa so it's not easy to move - other people coming on these visas take note!

Also, he works for thd biggest company in SA and his boss knows and supplies products to most other businesses in SA so if he left it would really mean an interstate move for us.

From what u guys have all said it's not right that he's expected to work all this overtime for no pay - I will pass this on to him. Hopefully when we r on a different visa he will feel like he is more able to say NO!

stevo

I was trying to get a feel for the 'bigger picture' of their situation. It may not be right, but I can give you countless examples of what 'should' happen here and what 'does' happen here in relation to employment law and terms and conditions of employment.

Not knowing about stonemasons but does he have a contract with them because if so then look what it says there. Usually if you are paid a high salary, a certain amount of "overtime" is expected. Other than that, is there a union or governing body you can ask? A few years ago when companies went away from Awards and into "Agreements" some people got done over. I know apprentices in various industries are expected to work on weekends for *&^% pay but a fully qualified person doesn't sound right.

Hi

Nod for that. Problem is that we r on a sponsored visa so it's not easy to move - other people coming on these visas take note!

Also, he works for thd biggest company in SA and his boss knows and supplies products to most other businesses in SA so if he left it would really mean an interstate move for us.

From what u guys have all said it's not right that he's expected to work all this overtime for no pay - I will pass this on to him. Hopefully when we r on a different visa he will feel like he is more able to say NO!

Biggest company in SA?

If they are the biggest in their game they would not like this sort of news getting out. Being in their intrest to sort.

Immigration may help on the visa front, quite a few change employers. Immigration understand when you are being asked to work 25% extra for gratis and should be with you.