Primary schools in the inner southern suburbs

Guest Nolesy

Guest Nolesy

Hi,

We are moving to Adelaide in October this year, with our 4yr old and 3yr old and was wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with any of the following primary schools in the inner southern suburbs:

- Unley primary school

- Highgate primary school

- Mitcham primary school or

- Westbourne Park primary school

Likewise are there any recommendations for kindy / child care centres is these suburbs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

These schools are in good residential areas, the kids are fairly well behaved and the teachers get to teach the whole curriculum. The parents are involved in their education, sport etc. They feed into Unley or Glenunga High schools or Private schools. Choosing which one would be a matter of which one fitted your family the best, I wouldn't have a problem educationally with any of them.

Hi,

We moved to Adelaide in Nov last year and moved to Unley. My 7yr old goes to Unley Primary School, spent last 2 weeks of term in Dec in yr 1 then moved in Jan into a soley yr 2 class and has loved every minute. He has gone from strength to strength, joined the chess club (can join from age 5!!!), joined the football team, been on several excursions, learns Greek too! The teacher has recognised that he is good at maths and science and encourages him to learn more. He never got this from the school he attended in the UK. I cannot recommend the school more highly and it also has a few social events that parents can get involved in too.

There is a great community feel about the school and seems to be lots of investment into the grounds and play areas and also they have a library with books that can be borrowed. They also have a computer lab that the children can use. I think though that they have a catchment area so your house would have to fall into this. (we had to provide our signed rental agreement as proof)

There are many kindys in the area. The one that has a good rep is Unley Kindergarten which i take my 3yr old to and again this has a catchment area. They are the feeder into Unley Primary and have strong ties with the school.

However, i think from speaking to people since moving here most primary schools to the inner south are good, its just High Schools you need to be careful with. Another School to look at is Burnside as it has a good rep and friends have children there and like it.

Good luck in your search it will be worth all the stress when you get here.

xxxx

Guest Nolesy

Thanks very much for all the comments, really helpful. Unley primary sounds exactly like the school we want to send the kids to so look forward to doing a tour / visit when we arrive.....just looking forward to finalising everything here and getting on that plane !!