Parents extending their tourist visas (or outstaying their welcome!!)

Guest rachinadelaide

Guest rachinadelaide

Does anyone know how easy/difficult and how expensive it is to extend the 3 month tourist visa?

My parents are coming for 3 months this year and we want to know what their options are for extending.

Thanks!!

I think the current Electronic Travel Authority style tourist visa is valid for a year - so if your parents leave the country for a short while they can come back any time within that year. Perhaps if they take a short break to NZ or Fiji or somewhere? My folks came last January and are coming back in November on the same visa/travel authority.

Guest Kazzarazza
Does anyone know how easy/difficult and how expensive it is to extend the 3 month tourist visa?

My parents are coming for 3 months this year and we want to know what their options are for extending.

Thanks!!

Hi rachinadelaide, why don't you get them to apply for a long stay tourist visa (Visa 676) which you can request to be up to 12 months. It costs about $100 and you apply online at www.immi.gov.au It will be a lot cheaper in the long run, than flying out after three months on the regular ETA and flying back again.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

Cheers, Kazza

Hi rachinadelaide, why don't you get them to apply for a long stay tourist visa (Visa 676) which you can request to be up to 12 months. It costs about $100 and you apply online at www.immi.gov.au It will be a lot cheaper in the long run, than flying out after three months on the regular ETA and flying back again.

Cheers, Kazza

Yup thats what my MIL did, she stayed for 9months :)

Guest katsmajic

My mums on this one too, on her 2nd visit now (1 visit for 5mths then went back to uk then back again til feb 10).

Cheers, Kazza

Likewise. My mum got a 12 months visa (twice). They can leave earlier if they want and wont incur costs of going back and forth. What they will need to provide is bank statements showing they have enough money to support themselves for the 12 months. Also if they plan to stay with you then you will probably be required to show, by way of a letter what you will provide (accomodation etc) that way they wont have to have as much money in the bank if their accomodation is free.

Karen

Guest rachinadelaide

Thanks everyone! That's great to know. I hadn't heard of the 12 month Tourist Visa (but I haven't looked very hard!). What sort of funds are the immigration dept looking for to cover a 12 month stay?

Thanks, Rach