489 Visa

Bal67

It all seems to go really smoothly. I thought the process might take a bit longer but the estimate for having a CO assigned was exactly the estimated time on the immi website. If you have all of the stuff you need for it ready then it should be no time. My only was because I was already in Oz on a working holiday and to get my police clearance from Ireland you have to physically apply for a 2/3 weeks processing time or you can apply by post and it's at least double that. I had to get my mother to apply on my behalf and they lost the first application so she had to reapply. Ireland havnt heard of the internet yet for applying for these types of things. Anyway that was the last thing I needed for them after the medicals and other paper work. I've been here for 2 years and am living in Glenelg at the moment (actually on a holiday in the Gold Coast now) so I applied while I was here. I only had a couple of weeks left on my visa and got a bridging visa while I was waiting. Where are you thinking of setting up?

Well we have a big dilemma at the moment as we came over to Perth on a reccie in August as hubby was struggling to get all 8's in the IELTS test so we thought we would go and suss out the work situation in WA regional areas as that was our 1st choice destination for Oz as we have friends there but did not realise hubby job title had come off skills list for the first time ever apparantly but is still in high demand for SA so we have lodged application for WA and SA and if job title is not back on in October then we will carry on with SA, so I have only researched a little and like seaford meadows areas, a friend of my friend also lives in Glenelg and they have said its lovely there too but it will depend on work for hubby to start off with, I am easily pleased as long as its warmer than the UK I am happy to go to either WA or SA, whatever will bem will be as they say.

I will start pushing application once I know which way we are going!!

I lived in Seaford when I first got to SA and still play football there. I'm working 20 odd minutes north of the city at the moment but would like to go back down that way in the future. For the same price were paying to rent in Glenelg for a 1 bed townhouse you'd get a really nice 3 bed house in Seaford. On the conditions on my visa it just says I have to live and work in a regional area in australia and lists all of the regional areas available including WA so I assume the visas allows you to work or live there too even though it's SA state sponsored. I'm not sure how it may affect residency or staying long term but thought it was interesting to see

Thats very interesting but I did not think you could do that, we would live and work in SA if we got visa for there until we got PR and then move if we needed to!! What do you do for work? Hubby's job title here in Construction Site Manager so thats what he would be looking to do or something very similar, is work easy enough to get?

Neither did I think you could really but nothing says you can't as far as I can see. I did all the visa application myself so did loads of research into it but that was the first I saw of that. It may hinder getting PR though. I'm a web designer and that just came on the skilled list here when I was applying. Was going to try as a electronic engineer as I have another degree in that but no experience and would have been difficult to prove enough to get the visa so I got lucky. I'm working as a driver/builder on new cars in the port. The best job I could get when on a WHV and been doing it for 6 months so will probably stuck at it long enough to fulfill the criteria and start looking for web design or IT work. A mate of mine just came over and he is a qualified site manager but has no experience so has struggled to get work. He's been working as a labourer on the super way and thinks he may be able to get site manager work through that. If your OH is experienced I'm sure he'd be able to sort something

Thanks you so much for your advice and I am not really worried about hubby finding work etc as I have been told he will be ok and he is not scared to get his hands dirty he is happy to get stuck in and was more of less guaranteed work in Perth!! But if we get Visa for Adelaide we will be staying in Adelaide!! We will keep you posted on our move and will arrange to meet you for a drink in Glenelg!!