Migration with an Assistance dog.

cardmakerex65

Has anyone already migrated with an assistance dog?

I am struggling to get my head round the whole process.

Luckily I still have 40 days before I have to get the rabies vaccine done in order to move in September.

I know that he travels with me on the plane in the cabin and does his quarantine in the house, but it's the pre departure stuff I am unsure about.

I have contacted DEFRA, but they have not got back to me yet.

If anyone can give me an idea of the process for moving with a dog I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

I would give Bob at Pet Air a shout, either email or call and explain the situation to him. He should hopefully be able to give you some pointers or perhaps a quote on services required if not actually shipping in the hold and you may wish to consider using their services. Bob is himself a vet iirc and they get good feedback from people who've shipped their pets (least that I have read). They may not be the cheapest out there but when shipping a much loved pet or animal, I'd at least contact them and see what they say.

There are other pet shippers out there, Golden Arrow tend to get good feedback also.

Here is a link to the import info for dogs/cats into Australia

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs

Put in the info and the date of departure then it will give you a long list of steps with links to all. Should give you a starting point.

I'd get in touch with your vet asap and get the rabies stuff rolling.

Guest Claire-n-tel

If this is a fully trained registered assistance dog there is no charge at all for the dog accompanying you in the cabin of the plane

(Airlines are entitled to ask for evidence that a guide or assistance dog is trained by, what is known as, a recognised training organisation. A list of qualifying training organisations can be found on the International Guide Dogs Federation (IGDF) or Assistance Dogs International (ADI) websites.)

your dog dog will need to be microchipped and be up to date on vaccinations including rabies. You need to inform the airline with whom you are traveling with, each airline has slightly different guidelines.

Thanks Claire-n-tel,

Yes he is a fully qualified and currently working assistance dog. I know the fees are nothing and he travels with me. It's the injection time frame that is confusing me and my VETs are no help.

Snifter, many thanks I will give them a call and find out what I need to do from him.

I think I only have a few weeks before the Rabies injection needs sorting so that he conforms to the requirements.

We are going to travel with Qantas, since they will be okay with me travelling with my battery powered wheelchair and they have been brilliant every time we have traveled with them before. Some of the airlines don't like to carry the powered chair because of the batteries.

So need to check that out. another thing to add to the list.

Well at least I am keeping busy. Can't wait....

Edited by cardmakerex65
hit send button too soon.

The page I gave you a link to has the timeline of things you need to do :) If you put your date of travel in it will give you the latest dates you need to do things within. Chuck in your info and departure date and see what comes up for you. Giving Bob a call would be good. If nothing else he knows the process inside out and should be able to advise hopefully. I'd perhaps shop around for a different vet who is up with what needs doing if your own vet is not sure. If you wanted to use Pet Air for any part of the process (outside of the flight) I am sure you could sort that out with them.

ETA - On that page, once you put in your info, all the list of things to do comes up. At the bottom of the page. You can click on each one to view too :)

Edited by snifter

Here you go, I put in Sept 1 as your date. Once the list appears, clicking on each stage gives you the info. Here are the first two steps

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D2CA]What you need to do[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D2CA]Recommended[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D2CA]Earliest[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D2CA]Latest[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: activity, bgcolor: #E4E2E0]Visit your vet[/TD]

[TD=class: recommended, bgcolor: #67B2E8]03 Feb 2015[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E4E2E0]02 Aug 2013[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E4E2E0]12 Feb 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Take your pet to the Government Approved Veterinarian and ask them to:

a) Scan their microchip and confirm it matches all health records; and

b) Vaccinate your pet against Rabies; and

c) Write a note for you to take that confirms they performed (a) and (b)

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: activity, bgcolor: #E4E2E0]Visit your vet[/TD]

[TD=class: recommended, bgcolor: #67B2E8]05 Mar 2015[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E4E2E0]01 Sep 2013[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E4E2E0]05 Mar 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Take your pet to the Government Approved Veterinarian and ask them to:

a) Scan their microchip and confirm it matches all health records; and

b) Take a blood sample to test for Rabies; and

c) Write a note that confirms they have performed (a) and (b).