If we arrive Sept what school fees etc will we be expected to pay upfront

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi Gang

If we were to arrive September what school fees will we expected to pay upfront to get kids straight into school?We will have 3 kids aged 7,9 and 11 starting school and a 4 year old starting kindy?Do we pay by the term or all upfront and how much is this going to be approx?Also how much will we expected to pay for uniforms approx?

Am i right that the kids usually wear just training shoes for school,any plain navy shorts/skirt/pants and usually a school polo shirt/sweatshirt with logo?And of course i realize they have to have a hat(can this just be a cap or a wide rimmed hat?).

Do they have seperate PE/Games kits like we do here in the UK(one for indoors,another for outdoors,one for winter and another for summer - i struggle keeping up with it all)

Thanks for any help?

Gill

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi Gang

If we were to arrive September what school fees will we expected to pay upfront to get kids straight into school?We will have 3 kids aged 7,9 and 11 starting school and a 4 year old starting kindy?Do we pay by the term or all upfront and how much is this going to be approx?Also how much will we expected to pay for uniforms approx?

Am i right that the kids usually wear just training shoes for school,any plain navy shorts/skirt/pants and usually a school polo shirt/sweatshirt with logo?And of course i realize they have to have a hat(can this just be a cap or a wide rimmed hat?).

Do they have seperate PE/Games kits like we do here in the UK(one for indoors,another for outdoors,one for winter and another for summer - i struggle keeping up with it all)

Thanks for any help?

Gill

We arrived 1/3 way through the year and paid 2/3 the costs.

Uniform wise it wil depend on the school. I have noticed the younger kids schools all wear hats and they appear to be uniform bucket type hats, as for footwear the high school my daughter goes to wears trainers (sand shoes!). They have separate PE kits too.

sarah

you will only have to pay for 4th term so 1/4. The compulsory fee is just that, but a lot of schools add other bits like building levies etc. You can say you just can't pay these for that term as you have just arrived and are setting up and finding jobs. The school should be fine with this.

Kids in kindy wear their own clothes and will need a hat with a brim. Hats are usually bucket or wider style and also legionaire cap which has cloth covering neck at the back. These are the styles acceptable in school as well.

Your kids' school should have a uniform shop, but often you can buy unmonogrammed stuff from the shops like Big W Kmart and Target. Lots of people do.

Uniform for primary school is polo shirt : can be short or long sleeved, windcheater (jumper, fleecy on inside) trackpants(trousers) shorts, some schools have a different style of trousers for girls, like dance pants but in school colours. There is usually a dress and winter skirt option too but most girls don't wear these beyond junior primary age. Footwear is usually enclosed like trainers or a sandal(school type) but not flimsy or strappy. Primary kids don't change for PE, cos their uniform functions well anyway and its only the gr 6 and 7s who get a bit pongy but they are usually well versed in the use of deodorant and daily showers by then.

Some schools also sell school bags (backpack style) but you don't have to use the school one and by the older grades a lot of kids don't.

Rachel

Hi there

Hi when we arrived last year - Thomas did a few weeks of school before the summer holidays and we payed a percentage of the yearly cost (it wasn't much). We bought polo shirts from the school with the school name embroidered into the collar and got shorts from Big W. The hats are available both at the school and from any of the big shops Big w and KMart. Thomas has a selection of plain polo shirts (dark green and yellow - either is fine, which I got from various places). He wears either green, black or grey trousers - cotton or tracksuit) and a dark green jumper. He does have a hoodie (school issue too which a lot of the children wear, its dark green with a yello lining). He had to have a reading (book bag) which was only a few dollars and he takes his own back pack and lunch pack with him.

Lindsey

Guest corners

Our kids go independent. The school that they are at just charged the remaining percentage for the year. They just put that onto direct debit.

They have sports and 'normal' uniform. They also have summer and winter uniforms. The school is pretty strict that uniform is purchased from the school shop.

Guest cunnah10
Our kids go independent. The school that they are at just charged the remaining percentage for the year. They just put that onto direct debit.

They have sports and 'normal' uniform. They also have summer and winter uniforms. The school is pretty strict that uniform is purchased from the school shop.

Thanks Guys

very much appreciated!!!!

Does depend on whether you are looking at state schooling or private, but generally the state schools seem to be more relaxed about uniform, often just having a colour scheme so you can buy stuff whenever you see it at the big stores. Usually the Year 7's can buy a special sweatshirt from school with all the year names on it or something like that. For hats it needs to be something broadbrimmed or something that covers the back of the neck, and schools usually have a no hat no play policy, particularly in Terms 1 and 4 (the summer ones). Our kids school let them wear any suitable hat though, didn't have to be a school one or even in school colours. They didn't have any special sports gear - as they did sport every day it would have taken a large chunk of the week if they changed every time!

At High School they are a bit more formal. Again, state schools may let them wear stuff that is not from the Uniform Shop. Private Schools in my experience seem really strict on it though - compulsory uniform, sports uniform, summer uniform - only leeway I managed was buying navy socks from somewhere cheaper but if they catch on to that I'm sure they'll introduce some sort of penalty!

For the state schools, you can arrange to pay in installments, particularly if you have several kids, they seem very flexible and fair on that - primary school fees are fairly reasonable and they get provided with things like pencils and books out of that - some schools also have an up-front excursion levy, but sometimes that is optional and you can just pay for the trips as they come up.

They don't do school lunches as such as far as I know - most schools have a canteen where they can order a lunch order on a daily basis, but I must admit, I miss being able to book a weeks lunches in advance for them, as well as them being able to have a proper hot sit-down meal at lunchtime - its all stuff that they can eat with their hands, and they eat it in the classrooms! Ah, no wonder table manners are dying out....!!

Guest ali@51

Hi Gill as you know our 2 started at GGP a few weeks ago. We paid $190 each for the rest of the year. The uniform is red and navy. You can wear most things so long as they are red/navy. We got Hat, jumpers and T-shirts from school. They also had some 2nd hand stuff at a fraction of the cost. Managed to get Joey a really good jumper! We also got school backpacks they are massive. we got shorts, trousers and scorts from big W. They recomend girls don't wear skirts as you cant hang upside down on monky bars in them and they felt it limited there play. Meg and Joe wear trainers/ sneakers to school and dont have a sports uniform, but from what we picked up the private schools do tend to have seperat sports and formal uniforms.

ali

ps ment to say they are not allowed branded items of clothing

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gill as you know our 2 started at GGP a few weeks ago. We paid $190 each for the rest of the year. The uniform is red and navy. You can wear most things so long as they are red/navy. We got Hat, jumpers and T-shirts from school. They also had some 2nd hand stuff at a fraction of the cost. Managed to get Joey a really good jumper! We also got school backpacks they are massive. we got shorts, trousers and scorts from big W. They recomend girls don't wear skirts as you cant hang upside down on monky bars in them and they felt it limited there play. Meg and Joe wear trainers/ sneakers to school and dont have a sports uniform, but from what we picked up the private schools do tend to have seperat sports and formal uniforms.

ali

ps ment to say they are not allowed branded items of clothing

Thanks ali for the info!!