Cathay Pacific vs Singapore Airlines?

jo_marnes

Anyone have anything positive or negative to say? I am getting similar quotes for both. We are travelling with 3 young children so we need them to be child friendly and have helpful service.

Also - has anyone flown and used a cot? From the seat plans I have seen they either seem to be right near the toilet or have no leg room!

Thanks,

Jo xx

Hi Jo,

not sure about Cathay, but i've flown singapore airlines before and they are absolutely fantastic. (both Cathay and Singapore are 5* airlines). We are flying with Singapore when we emigrate end of May 09. Also is your visa a permanant residancy one ? does the visa stamp say indefinate stay ?, if it does, and this is your first entry on that visa, then Singapore Airlines allows double allowance per passenger i.e 40kg. But only if your visa indicates a permant visa. not any other. Cathay may do this as well so check it out.

As for travelling with infants we once again chose Singapore Air, from other peoples views as well, as we will be travelling with our little one who will be 1 then, so going from past experience, we decided to fly with these guys again. I have heard that Cathay are pretty good as well, but it depends where you want to go - hong kong or singapore for any stopovers. Once again the singapore airport is awesome and a 5-6 hr transit is going to fly by, as the airport is stunning in singapore.

Oh and one more thing the singapore flight from London to Singapore is on the new A380 so there's no question of choice there ! - not sure once again if Cathay use the new A380 yet ?

Hope this helps :-) good luck!

Hi Jo,

Both airlines are 5 star as said before. I came out a year ago with Singapore and again there was very little diference in the price. Check out their route and see how many hours you spend in the air as it can vary. The only other thing that seperates them for me would be the fact that there is a Disney World in Hong Kong. If I had known that I may have gone with Cathy just to have given the kids a bit of fun on the way.

I dont think you can go wrong whichever one you choose

Guest guest569

I have flown singapore airlines and found them excellent. My inlaws always use cathay pacific EVERY YEAR :arghh:As they find better deals with them. They have also flown singapore and don't think they are the kind of people to suffer discomfort just to save a few pounds.

I think you'll be happy with either choice.

Guest TC for short

The seats available for an air-cot are right behind the galley and/or toilets, ie you have a wall in front of yo & therefore more legroom than normal. You also won't have anyone pushing their seat-back into you. Make sure the airline knows you need an air-cot well in advance - there are only a limited amount available on each flight.

The only difference between CPA & SIA (IMHO!) is that Cathay fly via outbound via Melbourne. Inbound is direct from HKG. SIA are direct Singapore in both directions.

TC

We flew with Singpore with 4 children rangeing in age from 13months to 7 years and they were fantastic, very helpful. We didn't get a cot as Joe was to big but on the heathrow to singapore flight they left the seat next to me empty so I could put him there. I had ordered kids meals but was worried as our then 5 year old is really fussy, but there was soooo much on the tray that she had plenty to choose from and I stashed some in my bag too. Also singapore airport is great, so much to do. We booked the transit hotel as a place to put everything and used the rooftop swimming pool which was great. Could have done with more time at the airport to see it all really.

that was our experience anyway. We flew this Sept

Anyone have anything positive or negative to say? I am getting similar quotes for both. We are travelling with 3 young children so we need them to be child friendly and have helpful service.

Also - has anyone flown and used a cot? From the seat plans I have seen they either seem to be right near the toilet or have no leg room!

Thanks,

Jo xx

Hi, I have traveled back to the UK many times since moving here 30 odd years ago, Singapore Air is fantastic, however, last month Qantas cancelled a flight on me out of Shanghai, I was transfered by them to Hong Kong with Dragon Air, they were also fantastic, out of Hong Kong I was put on a Cathy flight to Adelaide, it was the worst flight I have ever been on and the worst airline I have ever traveled, and if your as old as me you may remember "Dan Air" they were 5* compared to Cathy, my advise for what its worth steer clear of them and fly Sing or Qantas, Singapore airport is also a lot cleaner than Hong Kong.

Have not done it with a cot for over 20 years cant help on that.

i can say singapore and cathy are fantastic the best airport is changi singapore so much to do, try and find the butterfly kingdom in terminal 3 (i think) the airport is so big for kids to burn off energy lots of platgrounds and free internet places but one thing you must get for kids is medised, (get it from boots) its a mild sedetive that helps little one's sleep 2 spoonful each and they will be out for 12hrs good luck cant say what economy is like as i go business class on both companys but they where so helpful couldnt do more if i asked