CBD or Glenelg rentals

Guest Adelaide_bound

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hi all,

Hopefully (fingers crossed!) we are so very close to starting life 'proper' in Oz now, flying back to Adelaide next week :D

So we need to find somewhere to live - we are doing all the usual suspects, but just thought I'd pop a shout out on here incase anyone knows of anything not advertised on real estate or gumtree etc.

We're looking for a 2 bed (or more but with our budget, 2 is likely lol) possibly a car space (more in Glenelg than CBD really) and thats about it for requirements - its just us two (me and hubby), but need the 2nd bedroom for parents/guests coming to visit. Budget is $400/week, but obviously less is always better, so basically if its more than $400/week, or less than 2 bed its not a goer, but anything else is worth a look :D We really are set on CBD, or very very close (max. 5km away) OR Glenelg (although haven't been to N. Glenelg etc so don't know the areas around there yet - first thing is to go visit different areas), but as we won't have a car for a while it has to be very good for public transport, hence thinking more Glenelg itself.

Its not a desperate need thing, like I say just thought I'd pop a post up in case anyone knew of anything on the off chance and it wasn't going to come on our radar otherwise :)

Many thanks

AB :)

Once you get here see if you can get a local paper as private landlords often advertise in the local paper. The Advertiser might even have ads for rentals in as well so might be worth a look. Also go direct the agents that advertise on realestate.com as they may have properties that they don't advertise online, or be able to let you know if a new property is about to come on the market.

Hi Adelaide Bound - been following your adventures for the last year - mad to think you are finally about to settle, what an amazing trip you have had!

Anyway, just to say your search for property is identical to ours and we have not struggled to find a lot of properties in Glenelg for under $400 a week, in fact just yesterday we signed the contract on a gorgeous 2 bed cottage 50 metres from the beach and enough streets away from jetty rd to be blissfully quiet - best of both! Ours is $340 and has a garden and two double beds. It is unfurnished tho so the next thing will be to trawl gum tree etc for furniture.

Also, we were the only people that went for our property which amazed us (there were about 6 other people at the open viewing) and had none of the horrific competition we were braced for. In fact we have found during our search that there seems to be far more available properties than tenants at the moment - and properties staying on the market for a while, so don't worry too much.

We also looked at CBD but there was less that was appealing for under $400.

Good luck with your search.

Guest lyn

Hi Adelaide Bound! I, too, have been following your adventures and can't believe you are finally about to arrive and settle in Adelaide! Where has the year gone?! We rented in Glenelg (a 3 bed place just off Jetty Road and, like aliogilvie said, found it very easily/quickly on arrival) for our first 12 months and it was the perfect base for settling in...as you say, great transport, beach, heaps to see and do! So good luck with your search...btw it was a different story when we came to buy our house! If you want to buy a family-sized home in the middle of Glenelg, the price either starts with a 1 or a 2 (million, that is!). Hence, we didn't buy there!

Good luck with the next part of your adventure!

Lyn x

P.S. Like you, I'm also a teacher so if you fancy meeting up for a coffee and a chat when you're settled then drop me a PM - our son still goes to school in Glenelg so I'm around that way quite often!!

Guest Adelaide_bound

Thank you SO much both of you - fabulous to know (and makes us a bit more confident so we don't rush out and accept the first dump that will have us at $400 a week lol!). I am bouncing with excitement at the sound of your place Aliogilvie, so hurrah! and thank you - although if its too nice I think my mother might not want to leave when they come over later in the year, and hubby might not be too happy with that lol.

Glad to know people liked to hear about our travels - I might serialise it for PiO or something at some point lol :P

Don't worry Lyn - we certainly have no illusions of ever being able to purchase in Glenelg, but the way things are going we may not settle in Adelaide for the long term (sorry, but I think deep down our hearts belong in WA after all, which is a complete shock to us as is the fact we could actually afford property in our preferred bits anyway - we thought it would be way way out of our league, but according to the properties advertised and our friends who are currently buying etc, its very much not - hurrah!) but we are definitely excited to be there for at the very least a year or two and see what happens after that :)

Would love to meet all and sundry for drinks, we have to start a whole new social life, especially if I can be nosey and pick teachers brains lol :D Will PM you when the house situation is sorted :D Many thanks

Cheers once again people, lots of lovely help and kind words, very helpful :D

Guest lyn

Ah...you will surely fall in love with SA, too, once you spend some time here! Lol!

​We would like to travel round WA sometime in the future, too, so some mutual brain-picking could be on the cards! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi Adelaide-Bound have you found a place to live yet? If you're still looking I might have a suggestion for you :-)

Hiya - we got back at the weekend and have been looking for the last couple of days - might have found somewhere - we've put in an application for somewhere, so maybe, will just have to wait and see what the landlord thinks of us (feedback from agents seems to be good, despite us not have perm. jobs or anything yet :o). If its a no, I would certainly be interested in anything anyone suggests as we are just so open to anything really and not knowing what we want (the only thing that has leapt out at us from viewings has been we need a bit more space than I originally thought of in a 2 bed place not nec. with a car space - I think we've just brought a car as well, so will need car space and think we need a 3rd bedroom for all the junk we shipped from the UK as well lol....although that depends on the size of the other rooms of course...).

Anyway, to stop waffling - thank you very much, any ideas send them our way anyway as we might need them, but might not (if that makes sense :D)

Cheers

AB :)

Guest Adelaide_bound
Wow AB I can't imagine you finally settling down, wish we could have caught up when you were up this way. Hope you enjoy your time in Adelaide.

I know! Its mad - feel like we are finally growing up a bit lol!

Has been a whirlwind dash around Oz, thats for sure and a bit annoyed with ourselves for not staying longer in places and being able to meet up with people - but I think if we had done so we would still be travelling around in another 5 years time (and the camper was only licensed for 3, so wouldn't have been able to do the kiddies plan that is in place! lol)

Will be doing lots of 'updates' and timeline type posts once we are in our new place and have internet - things still seem a bit up in the air and don't want to jinx them too much (as it all seems to be a bit too easy right now lol) Adelaide, despite being as wet as a very wet thing right now (sorry for bringing the weather with us folks!) is still lovely, saw the brightest double rainbow today which kind of sums things up I think :D Hurrah for lovely things and positive outlooks, keep pinching ourselves (again, despite the rain lol)

:D

Hey AB - welcome back to your new home town!

Is the place you have gone for in Glenelg? Fingers crossed for you!

We are also now trawling gumtree etc for furniture as we get the keys to our unfurnished place next Friday - might be sleeping on an air bed for a while, lol!