Shipping - FAQs

Guest edenfieldpoms

Guest edenfieldpoms

Hi, I am just in the process of booking in shipping companies for quotes, just wondered if anyone had any tips on what to ask them concerning shipping household goods and the car, is there anything specific I should be asking and should I do anything before they turn up, like write down what I am taking.

Thanks in advance

April

Guest Crushfamily

Get them to tell you how much money they are going to take off you for insurance and then come up with reasons why they won't pay out when they break your stuff? Also to detail all the extra charges you have to pay for unloading etc.

Guest edenfieldpoms

Thanks for that, I think I will insure my goods separately with letton Percival, everyone seems to say they are good. Will ask about any extra csts, thanks alot much appreciated. How long have you lived in seaford, enjoying it?

April

Guest Crushfamily

Hi Edenfield Poms,

We have rented in Seaford for 7 months now and in the last 5 minutes become landowners! Next comes building. Seaford Rise has a good primary school which both our boys love. Moana beach is close by and easy to walk to and then you have Mclaren Vale nearby for traffic free cycling in the hills!

I was particularly pieved with our shipper as my computer needed $320 worth of repairs on arrival here due to impact damage according to the repairer but as the case was not dented they refused to pay out. Similarly dining room table scratched - they have offered 10%. As it is an Ikea type table it cannot be repaired. I take the view you bend it - you mend it! We were told we had a door to door service with our container and ended up having to pay out an extra $1000 on arrival! Do not use any company with initials AP!

Nick

• 2 months later...

I have just started to get quotes from shipping companies. When I booked the appointments with one said company the lady I spoke to sounded like she was yawning down the phone and didn't really seem to give a sh*t, anyway I booked the appointment time came and went and no show, so called the company and the appointment was logged but never followed up hence no show with sales rep! They did offer me another appointment, but after the rough start there is o way I can trust them to send my belongings to other side of world. As above the company initials AP.

I will be ringing pickfords tomorrow to get appointment from them.

Guest Crushfamily
I have just started to get quotes from shipping companies. When I booked the appointments with one said company the lady I spoke to sounded like she was yawning down the phone and didn't really seem to give a sh*t, anyway I booked the appointment time came and went and no show, so called the company and the appointment was logged but never followed up hence no show with sales rep! They did offer me another appointment, but after the rough start there is o way I can trust them to send my belongings to other side of world. As above the company initials AP.

I will be ringing pickfords tomorrow to get appointment from them.

Good choice!

We used Robinsons and I was very pleased with them, and Grace who deliver at this side. The only extra costs from the quote were the insurance and the AQUIS fees. The quote also included a full unpacking service which means they unpack everything from the packaging, put any furniture back together and unpack all the boxes and put your things on the side, then they take all the rubbish away from them. We didn't actually make full use of this service cos my husband was desperate to get our stuff so got them to squeeze our delievery in saying he was happy to unpack the boxes himself. They did unwrap all the big things and were going to put the beds back together for us until we told them not to bother as it was getting quite late.