Anyone know anything about salisbury?

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Hi there!!

I am due to start a job in salisbury (the noirth apparently) and was silly to think I would be based in the south and have only looked at the south suburbs so far. Does anyone live there? Are there any links anyone can send me re; malls, entertainment, good bus/tram route to the CBD? How long does it take to get to the CBD from salisbury? Any info greatly received. The rental proces seem really cheap and I know every suburb has it's poorer parts but what is salisbury like?

Many thanks

sarah:confused::confused:

Salsibury Heights is Ok but dont go any further North, I live in Highbury the same as Diane which is ok but dont ignore the bad comments on the north, I have been here 30 years and beleive me there all true, however, the south is no better, if you can live between Golden Grove in the north and Darlington in the south you will be ok and if you can taje advantage of the falling $ then the east is the way to go

Guest massive

Hi Sarah,

Like you we had only researched the south thinking beach life for the kids however my hubby got a job at Jacobs Creek in the Borrossa that left us in the north . We are in Gawler and loving it , it has everything we need and the beach is 40mins away we have got friends in the south so have seen both parts and there's good and bad in both . There are some fantastic schools here and our daughter is very settled . As for house prices being cheaper up north its like anywhere north or south you get what you pay for there are places up here you wouldn't want to life and if you look down south it will be the same we are all individuals what suits one doesn't another , so just take your time and have a look for yourself you'll work it out yourself , mingers are mingers north or south

Debbie

Guest salisbury massive

Hi Sarah, just in case you didn't get my message as it came through on a notification and not a pm,

Salisbury is made from various different suburbs. The actual "City of Salisbury" is quite large and covers quite a few suburbs inc Salisbury. So Salisbury has Salisbury Plains, Downs, Park, South, East and Heights. Then the immediate suburbs are Brahma Lodge, Gulfview Heights, Parafield Gardens & Paralowie. The Council website is a good place to start http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/mani...=1&stypen=html

This is on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury,_South_Australia

Personally I wouldn't live in any part of Salisbury except Salisbury East and Salisbury Heights which is where I live. To get to the city there are good public transport links, there is an interchange in Salisbury centre and there is a train link direct to the City centre, you can also get the bus but obviously it goes all around the houses and would take a while. The train takes about 25 minutes to get to the City. It takes about 40 minutes to drive to the City and also to the nearest beach at Semaphore. Parabanks the shopping centre is very good, its just like a large english shopping centre with all your immediate needs. Elizabeth and Munno Para are about 15 minutes north by car and cater for furniture shopping, TV's etc. There is also a nice centre at Golden Grove which isn't far away. If you want schools I can't say that the schools locally are very good. Salisbury Heights Primary is nice but then you have to go on to Salisbury East High which isn't very nice at all. Do not confuse this school with Salisbury High which is an excellent school with waiting lists for out of catchement. Have a look on the Department of Education website. http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/

Here is the website for Salisbury High http://www.salisburyhigh.sa.edu.au/ the primary schools are a bit rough but here is the site for Salisbury Heights Primary http://www.shsr7.sa.edu.au/ If you can give me more information if you want schools I can tell you where to look. When you go on the DECS site, click on schools/preschool on the right and then the little red Adelaide spot, then click on Salisbury for all the schools. when you are on the DECS site check out Keithcott Farm Primary and Gulfview Heights Primary also, they are great local schools.

Living in Adelaide is different to the UK, most suburbs all have a large shopping centre that cater for your immediate needs, supermarkets etc. You don't travel to the City just to get groceries, you can do that at the nearest centre and there are clothes shops etc. There are no big supermarkets just by themselves like an out of town tesco. You just go to your nearest centre.

Jo

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
Here's a link to all average house prices.

http://www.abelrealty.com.au/_excel/LGAFrames2007_08.htm

You can see all the salisbury areass listed, some are quite expensive places to live Gulfview heights compared to all of Adelaide, and some are relatively cheaper, but come out and see for yourself.

This website is great. I can already get a feel for the towns etc just by the house prices. Thanks very much.

Sarah

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
Hi Sarah, just in case you didn't get my message as it came through on a notification and not a pm,

Salisbury is made from various different suburbs. The actual "City of Salisbury" is quite large and covers quite a few suburbs inc Salisbury. So Salisbury has Salisbury Plains, Downs, Park, South, East and Heights. Then the immediate suburbs are Brahma Lodge, Gulfview Heights, Parafield Gardens & Paralowie. The Council website is a good place to start http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/mani...=1&stypen=html

Personally I wouldn't live in any part of Salisbury except Salisbury East and Salisbury Heights which is where I live. To get to the city there are good public transport links, there is an interchange in Salisbury centre and there is a train link direct to the City centre, you can also get the bus but obviously it goes all around the houses and would take a while. The train takes about 25 minutes to get to the City. It takes about 40 minutes to drive to the City and also to the nearest beach at Semaphore. Parabanks the shopping centre is very good, its just like a large english shopping centre with all your immediate needs. Elizabeth and Munno Para are about 15 minutes north by car and cater for furniture shopping, TV's etc. There is also a nice centre at Golden Grove which isn't far away. If you want schools I can't say that the schools locally are very good. Salisbury Heights Primary is nice but then you have to go on to Salisbury East High which isn't very nice at all. Do not confuse this school with Salisbury High which is an excellent school with waiting lists for out of catchement. Have a look on the Department of Education website. http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/

Here is the website for Salisbury High http://www.salisburyhigh.sa.edu.au/ the primary schools are a bit rough but here is the site for Salisbury Heights Primary http://www.shsr7.sa.edu.au/ If you can give me more information if you want schools I can tell you where to look. When you go on the DECS site, click on schools/preschool on the right and then the little red Adelaide spot, then click on Salisbury for all the schools. when you are on the DECS site check out Keithcott Farm Primary and Gulfview Heights Primary also, they are great local schools.

Living in Adelaide is different to the UK, most suburbs all have a large shopping centre that cater for your immediate needs, supermarkets etc. You don't travel to the City just to get groceries, you can do that at the nearest centre and there are clothes shops etc. There are no big supermarkets just by themselves like an out of town tesco. You just go to your nearest centre.

Jo

What a great response, I'll have to post stuff on here when I get there just to help others too! Thanks for the info on areas, I'm a bit obsessive about gathering info, and I know it's impossible to really know what to go for when I can't see it but it makes me less anxious about the whole move if I'm a little clued up. I don't require school information, as my two kids are only 3 & 2 but will need to know about pre-school or kindergarten/nursery's in the local areas, but my hubby is going to have about 6 months off hopefully to settle us in to places, and my friend said she'd arrange rental viewings as soon we get there, to start the ball rolling as I start work 2 weeks after arriving. My friend says its really good to rent stuff out there, until you get chance to buy stuff, but someone told me about gumtree and ofcourse ebay, till we get a decent rental and know what space to fill as we're not bringing anything really except the clothes off our back.

Thanx again for all the info so far, I'm sure Ill be pestering you all again sometime soon.

Sarah

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
Hi Sarah,

Like you we had only researched the south thinking beach life for the kids however my hubby got a job at Jacobs Creek in the Borrossa that left us in the north . We are in Gawler and loving it , it has everything we need and the beach is 40mins away we have got friends in the south so have seen both parts and there's good and bad in both . There are some fantastic schools here and our daughter is very settled . As for house prices being cheaper up north its like anywhere north or south you get what you pay for there are places up here you wouldn't want to life and if you look down south it will be the same we are all individuals what suits one doesn't another , so just take your time and have a look for yourself you'll work it out yourself , mingers are mingers north or south

Debbie

thanks for the info, never even thought of Gawler! How long would that be to commute to Salisbury? How far away from Adelaide town is that?

Guest Rob and Clare
This website is great. I can already get a feel for the towns etc just by the house prices. Thanks very much.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

No problem, I did actually post a snapshot of the salisbury suburbs, but when I posed it, it just looked like gobbledegook.... so in a rush i just put the link.

If you've not picked up yet from this website no-one ever says they live in a horrible area and want to get out, but some are quite quick to point out other "bad" areas, which is always a matter of opinion.

At least with a list like that you can tell of an area's desirability and quality, although far from being 100% accuarate (areas with sales of less than 10 houses per period bounce up and down all the time) it is fair to say areas with an average higher house price are the better areas - generally. Someone had recently said about avoiding Salisbury Plains, and someone else likes Salisbury East, yet Salisbury East is a cheaper area, although not by much, so i would say they're probably very similar. I would just say have a look around and see what suits your budget, each area does seem to offer something different, transport, scenary, lifestyle, Beach, Hills, Parks, activities etc... you will find an area which suits you I'm sure.

Good Luck

Guest salisbury massive

Someone had recently said about avoiding Salisbury Plains, and someone else likes Salisbury East, yet Salisbury East is a cheaper area, although not by much, so i would say they're probably very similar.

Reasoning behind saying Salisbury East and not Plains, Salisbury East is closer to the better areas, ie Gulfview Heights, had good access to Bridge and Main North Roads and the schools are better. Salisbury Plains is slightly further north, closer to some rougher areas and the schools don't come recommended. House prices are roughly the same but some aspects of Salisbury East are better for transport links etc. Local knowledge goes a long way when there are small differences.

In answer to the Gawler question, you are probably looking at 20 - 25 minutes commute in rush hour traffic. There is a train station in Gawler which will take you straight to the City. I'm not sure about buses but I guess you could take a bus to the city though how frequent I'm not sure. Have a look on the Adelaide metro site.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/

Jo :)

Jo

When we build the roundabouts Tesco,s will come, I may be wrong but I think they have recently aquired some of the Coles group, and how silly of me there is nothing wrong with the north once your past Elizabeth.

Guest massive

HiSarah,

we haven't been here that long but do go down to and past salisbury from Gawler at differnt times of the day and it normally takes about 15 to 20mins and i have got to the city in about 50mins at 8.30a.m. the trains run regularly as well .

As for pre-school kindy etc looking at you little ones ages unless you sent them to daycare you'll probably struggle my, little boy is 3.5 and was going to pre-school every morning back in the u.k. but he isn't able to start kindy here until the term after her turns 4 so thats after easter next year .

If i can help you with anything else i will try because i found this sight a graet help back in the u.k.

debbie

Guest salisbury massive

, I may be wrong but I think they have recently aquired some of the Coles group,

I believe it is only in NSW. Some of the larger Coles in Sydney have international isles with some Tescos items but I doubt we'll get them here in SA. I work for Coles and haven't seen anything on the internal memos etc. shame

Guest Rob and Clare
When we build the roundabouts Tesco,s will come, I may be wrong but I think they have recently aquired some of the Coles group, and how silly of me there is nothing wrong with the north once your past Elizabeth.

Tesco's put in a bid for Coles last year, and bought some shares but not enough to force a take over. It's still within their sights to buy over here but if it's coles remains to be seen.

As far as I know , you are way off the mark,......................Wesfarmers( the owner of Bunnings) bought the whole Coles group!.

, I may be wrong but I think they have recently aquired some of the Coles group,

I believe it is only in NSW. Some of the larger Coles in Sydney have international isles with some Tescos items but I doubt we'll get them here in SA. I work for Coles and haven't seen anything on the internal memos etc. shame

Coles in St Agnes Sell a few english things like Marmite (called our mate), IGA modbury also sell a bit of UK stuff like Weat a bix and yesy Wesfarmers did buy Coles, and Debenhams Grouup have aqquired Myers