Hello everyone!

Naughtons

We are the Naughton's, me my OH and our 14 year old are hoping to move to Oz in December 2013. The visa process has been a long drawn out process for us, we first applied for Victoria 4 years ago and then changed to Adelaide. We started our Adelaide visa in October 2012, finally we have been assigned a case officer and have just completed our medicals and sent our police checks off. We are now really excited/nervous and the stress of waiting is getting to us a bit! but we are sure it is the right thing to do and that it will be worth it when we get there! We are looking at Glenelg or Brighton at the moment and our 14 year old loves the look of Brighton high. We wanted somewhere that would be accessible to the beach and cbd but had good schools. Has anyone else got children at Brighton high? My 14 year makes friends easily here, but she is nervous about how she will make friends in Oz? would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation? xx

Guest vikkiann

Hi and welcome.

Our son Ben was almost 14 when we moved here. He was never a confident outgoing person but since moving here he has made loads of friends, stays out loads and is a different person, he even has a bit of attitude thrown in, not that that's a good thing!

Guest vikkiann

No, I didn't contact the school but we had been out before so I knew where I wanted him to go.

I was really hard on Ben and through him in at the deep end, on his first day I made him get the school bus on is own and he was fine. He adjusted so well and enjoys school.

Most of the subjects are similar, he does find them quite easy though. He started in the same year that he was in, in England and chose his options to take for year 10.

The good thing here is you get school reports each term at Willungs High.

If you need anymore info, just shout.

Vikki

xx

My hubby's brother goes to Brighton high and loves it.

It is very good in music and performing arts. And other aspects. It seems to be one of the senior schools that has a a great reputation. It is zoned so be aware you'll have to live within the zone for your son to attend. A chunk of Glenelg won't fall into the zone for the school. You need to look to stay the school side of the tram line as it were. South side of Jetty road.

http://www.brightonss.sa.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BSS-School-Zones-w-map.pdf

Thanks Vikki, its good to know the schools/subjects are similar and she won't be behind. I suppose you need to be a bit tough on them to get them to mix straight away :-) Snifter - thanks for the info on Brighton, it sounds ideal for her, she loves dance and drama so it should suit her, I will have a good look at the catchment area. Thanks for the info, this is a great website!

Hi & welcome,

We have just got back from our reccie, we stayed Gelnelg which was a lovely place and when we spoke to people about where to live quite a few mentioned to try and get in Brightons catchment as its a good school, we dont need to worry about high school yet my boys are 7 & 9 but its good to know for when we settle :)

Also once we had our medicals the visa arrived within a few weeks so shouldnt be long now!

Good luck

Emma :)