Bike Scene

Riponian

Guest thekings

Sorry to sound a bit of a Hypocrite!!! But am having second thoughts about selling the bike. Was set on selling the bike and getting something new when I get there, but have had a couple of test rides this week in England with a view to buying when I get to Adelaide next year, but the bikes were just no match for what I already have. I have also found out that to buy the same bike, same year etc in Adelaide will cost me another £1000 and this is on a bike worth £2300 in England at the moment !!

Have contacted my removal company who have said that they will charge an extra £191 to ship the bike, this includes crating and inspection at the other end. I just need to look at duty costs and registration in SA to see if this is a viable option. Will keep you all posted as to the outcome.

Guest kangomik

if you have an "older" bike then it really is worth looking into. As with cars the second hand market is sky high in my opinion. With no MOT there are some real buckets out there too.

Buying new should be on a par, but don't forget taxes and on road costs.

Rego is a lot more that road tax in the uk. My single cylinder 450 costs $367 for the year. God knows how much for four cylinders! LOL.

If you have a lifestyle in the UK that allows you to have toys etc , and you plan to come here and still have a mortgage, then the dream of buying a new toy when here can go through the window very quickly.

If youre mortgage free, then the toy should be no hassle.

My zzr was not in the greatest of nick to look at, but it was cheap to run, hit over 180Mph and was always on the button. It was my mistress, and i do regret not bringing her to Aus, especially when you consider cheaper bikes will encounter less import duty. Well a little less because it goes off their book price here.

The bike has to be spotless, but giving it a good steam clean then dousing it in WD-40 is not a bad thing.

Which ever way any of you guys decide to go one thing is for sure, you will get out a lot more here than in the UK, and you won't have to worry about rust!

Guest thekings

Hi Kangomik and others. Are there any other costs apart from "rego" that need to be considered to ride legally over there, you've already mentioned that there is no mot to worry about.

Plus whats the situation regarding non baffle exhausts!!! I have a Scorpion exhaust with removable baffle which is "E" marked for on road use, I suspect that "E" mark means diddly squat over there though :biglaugh:

Guest Pies
Hi Kangomik and others. Are there any other costs apart from "rego" that need to be considered to ride legally over there, you've already mentioned that there is no mot to worry about.

Plus whats the situation regarding non baffle exhausts!!! I have a Scorpion exhaust with removable baffle which is "E" marked for on road use, I suspect that "E" mark means diddly squat over there though :biglaugh:

Going by the hoons on any given night of the week round here, I don't think you have much to worry about ref decibels. No EU nanny state around here: I am sure there are less Harleys around here with baffles than with....

Guest kangomik

you will have to put the bike through the test center, if they pull it for noise then you will have to make her scream a little quieter. The E stamp will mean nothing, just as it means didley in the UK, when i left it was down to the tester, not the stamp. I had loads of fun with my straight through Micron.

If you passed the examination test and then took the baffle out you would only need to re test if you got stopped by the cops for noise....... as stated this really should not be a problem. There are loads of Harleys with straight pipes here, they make the bus windows shake on tickover at traffic lights.!!!! Due to the speed limits here you don't really get the high pitched wail from a race pipe. Saying that someone on Glolden way was kicking the pistons through the valve seats saturday morning at 9 am, what a noise as he went up the hill........3 times!

You don't need insurance as its in with your rego, well let me re-phrase third party is included. If you want more then you pay, if you have a nice toy, get it insured for theft at least.

Apart from that then no, i think of no other costs other than a helmet here.

You may consider dual compound batlax type tyres, the tyres get flat centres here due to high milage on straight roads. Some look really squared off.

The bike shops carry everything else you will need, and they know there stuff.

And after all that we have to ask what your pride and joy is????

Pretty sure if yur bringing a bike, it has to be "standard". If you still have your original pipes, i would sling it on and then change after getting it inspected. This is not just for imports, this is for interstate purchaeses also!!! It can be quite a costly option.

Rego is relatively the same cost for most bikes, in fact i think my GSXR1000 is around the same as the 450 mentioned previously. And yes, rego includes third party insurance, but if would i hell rely on that for insurance. Fully comp on my bike is less than $500 for a year, bloody cheap peace of mind for a bike like that if you ask me. And as for dual compound tyres, depends what roads and trips you will be riding. Personally i don't like the feel of them, i have pirelli diablo corsa 3's on my bike, nice and soft and sticky. If i do a long trip on straight roads (which i avoid at all costs if i can) and and squaring occurs, i can guarentee and few hours in the hills, and a couple of laps of the eagle, and my tyres are back in good shape. Also be aware that the bitumen on roads here is a lot more aggressive on tyres than the tarmac back in uk. Not meaning to sound pedantic, but running the bike forum allows you to be able to open up to lots more advice, so get on and ask. Someone there will know the answers.

Anything else, just ask, and i will try to find out answers for you.

Now most importantly, i'm in Africa working right now, but get back to glorious South Oz on 7th August, so who's up for some fun in the playground we like to call Adelaide hills? Chain of ponds, Gorge, Lobie, Strath, Down through Goolwa to Victor? Via old Willunga Hill? lol