A new section for Repatriation

suzer

Should we have a "Moving Back To The Uk" Forum?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a "Moving Back To The Uk" Forum?

• Yes
    • No

And as for posting info from other sites...I think the link was enough. That person was on that forum and posted her info for those people, not for all and sundry.

Sorry I thought this site was meant for information sharing :nah: Expat Exchange, Expat Women, etc are sites for Expats worldwide...yes, for all and sundry!

Libby, if you're not interested, why bother posting. You seem to have a very disagreeable attitude towards anything you are not interested in.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HiAll,

The section in question is here on PiO http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/

My intial thoughts would be that becuse it is localised to Adelaide it wouldn't be required, however if there is enough iterestI could look atit- I wouldn't want to spread out the forum too thinly!

Tim

I've noticed many folks on this site who end up moving back. I was only suggesting one small section, not split up into sub-sections. That section could include a sticky post with a link to the above as well, but at the end of the day people's feelings should be validated, and discussing what they're going through with others (who they know from being active members of this forum) helps.

Guest Deb17

I don't see why people should be having a go at what is actually a very good idea from Suzer. Some of the best advice and encouragement I've had has been from people who made the move back to the UK, and their experiences are all valid and worthy in guiding others to make these difficult life choices. If this forum is all about helping and supporting others, why is giving advice about moving back less important than advising people on the move out here in the first place?

Once again, it seems, some forum members only want to see the positives posted about Adelaide, when in fact a more balanced view would be to show prospective migrants a clearer picture of reality...what can go right as well as what can go wrong once they get here. :(

Perhaps we should take a democratic stance and have a poll to see who is for or against such a section being added.

Guest GAFFBAM

I actually put a request in a couple of weeks ago for 'a returning to the UK' section and was told that they would think about it. Adelaide doesn't work for everybody. My husband is a Carpenter. We did tons of research before we came but didn't realise that not having a licence (he has to wait 2 years) would have such a huge impact on his salary and salary expectations. We didn't come with enough money to keep us going for 2 years. He was offered a couple of jobs but not enough to keep a family going, pay the rent, food, run cars and because our children were way ahead of their peers in education 'private school', not to mention prescription charges. We can't even meet our costs. I think that this kind of information is invaluable, particularly to other Carpenters who are thinking of making the move.

I actually put a request in a couple of weeks ago for 'a returning to the UK' section and was told that they would think about it. Adelaide doesn't work for everybody. My husband is a Carpenter. We did tons of research before we came but didn't realise that not having a licence (he has to wait 2 years) would have such a huge impact on his salary and salary expectations. We didn't come with enough money to keep us going for 2 years. He was offered a couple of jobs but not enough to keep a family going, pay the rent, food, run cars and because our children were way ahead of their peers in education 'private school', not to mention prescription charges. We can't even meet our costs. I think that this kind of information is invaluable, particularly to other Carpenters who are thinking of making the move.

That's Adelaide's loss, as your husband has fantastic experience and references:/ Sorry to hear it, but (as an aside to the current topic) can he not work as a subcontractor in the meantime?

Guest GAFFBAM

You're right Suze, he is a fantastic Carpenter.I can't tell you how many people he contacted during this whole period. He had a really good contact and made about 50 calls one day. He had 1 reply. He is working but for a locksmith company and earning half the money he thought he would earn. It certainly wasn't for the want of trying that's for sure! Financially we are better off in the UK. I will say, we have a house on the beach in the Isle of Wight, free education, free healthcare and a much better salary. We are disappointed in the sense that we thought we could have afforded a better lifestyle here. We know now that we are all better off in the UK. Not the outcome we thought but at least now we can get on with our lives which has been on hold for at least 2 years.

You're right Suze, he is a fantastic Carpenter.I can't tell you how many people he contacted during this whole period. He had a really good contact and made about 50 calls one day. He had 1 reply. He is working but for a locksmith company and earning half the money he thought he would earn. It certainly wasn't for the want of trying that's for sure! Financially we are better off in the UK. I will say, we have a house on the beach in the Isle of Wight, free education, free healthcare and a much better salary. We are disappointed in the sense that we thought we could have afforded a better lifestyle here. We know now that we are all better off in the UK. Not the outcome we thought but at least now we can get on with our lives which has been on hold for at least 2 years.

So have you already decided to go back? Tell ya, being able to afford a better lifestyle here takes time. I'm still behind, in some sense, and it's bloody frustrating, but everyone says it can take a couple of years. Anyway, not that you need my 2p, but sorry to hear it isn't working out.

Guest GAFFBAM

We could have waited it out but I think we are a few years too late in terms of house prices and the exchange rate. For us personally, there were other factors in our decision to return home and we feel that for us as a family, financially and otherwise, we are better off in the UK.

Guest SA Great

Libby, if you're not interested, why bother posting. You seem to have a very disagreeable attitude towards anything you are not interested in.

Nice one Suzer.....and spot on. It's like when people sit there watching TV and complain about everything.....well DON"T WATCH IT THEN!!!!

Guest SA Great
We could have waited it out but I think we are a few years too late in terms of house prices and the exchange rate. For us personally, there were other factors in our decision to return home and we feel that for us as a family, financially and otherwise, we are better off in the UK.

Yeah but it's alright for you because you're from the IOW! (one of the best places in the UK I think). Think of these poor souls from somewhere not quite so pretty LOL

Guest Lisado

As someone who will be over there in a few weeks time, I find it disheartening when I read people are coming back. It sends me into a blind panic and I stop reading the threads as I really try and remain upbeat about it all. The threads seem to get posted when I am waivering.

However, I understand it is not for everyone and I will only see when I come out if it is for us.

I voted against a section to be added but on second thoughts - I won't be reading it from this end but there is obviously people there who will and if it helps them settle back here then so be it.

I can see this thread becoming yet another slanging match, which is sad - I rely on PIA for help, advice and a pick me up. Its been said before - Forums are open to all opinions and I think people should not take things to heart as much.

Gawds - hate to see us all in the same place at the same time - be like a wedding at the Queen Vic :wubclub:

Guest Martin and Val

What a great idea Suzer,

Many people make this life changing move. Some it works for and some it doesn't and for those that are heading back for what ever reason then need all the help and advise they can get just the same as migrating to Adelaide in the first place.

Val and I have received so much help and guidance through this web site and its many many members and if we were to return to the UK I'm sure we would have some equally important questions to ask. What better place could there be to find the answers than on here.

Australia works for us but it won't for everybody so what ever your decisions are in the future we will say "Good luck, Good health and Happiness and well done for giving it a go":notworthy:

Martin and Val

Guest SA Great

Don't worry Lisado you will be fine. It is really down to how you approach the whole emigrating thing. From day one I wanted to be Australian. OK I'm not (I realise that I will be a pom until I die!!) but I have tried to fit in, not hunt the streets for English lolly shops and bisto etc, not complain about the beer, and to be honest I even go for the aussies in more sports than I support the poms (soccer being the one exception!) Just my opinion on how I think people should approach it!! Anyway, good luck with your emigrating experience.

Guest Libby1971

I don't know what to say about the attacks from SA GREAT, Sue and Suzer. I wasn't being personal, nor have I accused anyone of being disagreeable.

Guest Libby1971
As someone who will be over there in a few weeks time, I find it disheartening when I read people are coming back. It sends me into a blind panic and I stop reading the threads as I really try and remain upbeat about it all. The threads seem to get posted when I am waivering.

However, I understand it is not for everyone and I will only see when I come out if it is for us.

I voted against a section to be added but on second thoughts - I won't be reading it from this end but there is obviously people there who will and if it helps them settle back here then so be it.

I can see this thread becoming yet another slanging match, which is sad - I rely on PIA for help, advice and a pick me up. Its been said before - Forums are open to all opinions and I think people should not take things to heart as much.

Gawds - hate to see us all in the same place at the same time - be like a wedding at the Queen Vic :wubclub:

Don't worry. Adelaide has much to offer - whether or not you stay will be up to you, but you sound positive and eager to give it a go and at the end of the day that is all any of us can do. For some it all fits together and they are happy here. For others something happens or not, as the case may be and they go back. I know one family who came to Adelaide and decided it was not for them but moved to Brisbane and they are very happy there.

This is the last post that i will write on this. There have been some great posts for and some very valid points, and the survey idea is excellent. (i voted no). However just becouse some disagree with the majority no one has the right to start abusing people with a differet view. Its so easy to be rude on the end of a keyboard and usually is done by people who would not do it to a persons face. We all have different ideas and not always see things the same way but as adults we should be able to discuss our views without being abused.

Guest Lisado

Hi

Thanks for the encouragement - SA Great and Libby. To be honest with you - I cant wait to come over and I feel so excited but what I meant was at times when I do feel wobbly (like parent stress) and I read that someone is coming back here I think - oh gawd. Then I read another post and I am all fine again. Once i am am there I hope I have no intentions on coming back - we have worked so hard to get there. I too want to be an Australian.

There are some people on here who I really admire after difficult family situations who have just bitten the bullet and keep going and others who feel its time to come back but they gave it a go and will never have to live with the "what if" regret. In fact that is another reason I want to be over - I don't want to get old and think "what if".

If people had the support in going over - I cant see the harm in having a place for those coming back to have the support.