A new section for Repatriation

suzer

Should we have a "Moving Back To The Uk" Forum?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a "Moving Back To The Uk" Forum?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Libby1971

I haven't checked the vote but the comments on here suggest that other members want one. Question seems answered now then, doesn't it?

NEXT!!! :biglaugh:

Guest GAFFBAM

Regardless of whether you are coming or going, I truly believe that 'everybody' needs to have their own experience. No two people are the same and everybody comes from different lives. Yes, I am very lucky that i'm going back to the IOW thats probably why the decision wasn't that difficult for us. It is quintisentially English, thatched cottages, beautiful coves, lovely beaches etc etc and our house overlooks the sea. We are very very lucky and we thought we could have something similar here but with good weather lol! when in fact we couldn't. So to all of you embarking on your journey 'go for it' and the best of luck. I hope it works for you all and if not, like we all say 'You Gave It A Go'!!! That's the important thing to remember!

Guest Libby1971
Regardless of whether you are coming or going, I truly believe that 'everybody' needs to have their own experience. No two people are the same and everybody comes from different lives. Yes, I am very lucky that i'm going back to the IOW thats probably why the decision wasn't that difficult for us. It is quintisentially English, thatched cottages, beautiful coves, lovely beaches etc etc and our house overlooks the sea. We are very very lucky and we thought we could have something similar here but with good weather lol! when in fact we couldn't. So to all of you embarking on your journey 'go for it' and the best of luck. I hope it works for you all and if not, like we all say 'You Gave It A Go'!!! That's the important thing to remember!

Beautiful post! Good luck to you :notworthy:

What seems to start off as a valid question always turns into an argument lately on this site. Its like a soap opera, who will argue next.....

Kris

Im not being funny kris BUT there hasnt really been an argument! as SA GREAT says............stop being so sensi:ptive

Guest cazzie

Isn't it funny how we do get quite irate about opinions though? At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we should be able to agree/disagree with opinions without being aggressive and personally attacking people. That's when it's just not on. The poll is the democratic way to sort this one out as it's fair all round. I personally have voted 'yes' as I think it would definitely be useful whether you are coming/going back, settled or unsettled. It is fascinating in its own right as we seem to be very inquisitive about why people want to go back and we can commiserate with them and wish them luck. I personally find the 'ping- pong' poms posts very interesting, so Lisado, try not to worry too much and let those going back affect you as many do want to come straight back to Oz.

Good luck everyone, whether you are coming/going/coming back again...

:)

Guest the4hopes

I think it will be useful to read reasons why people do choose to move back, as I found it quite worrying at times (when I was still in the uk) to hear about people moving back, but then when you hear their reasons it makes sense. Also to learn from these with our expectations for life here. On the same note it is also great to hear from the people who love it here and all of their experiences. We can learn from both sides, and help.

Guest redfoxy
I think it will be useful to read reasons why people do choose to move back, as I found it quite worrying at times (when I was still in the uk) to hear about people moving back, but then when you hear their reasons it makes sense. Also to learn from these with our expectations for life here. On the same note it is also great to hear from the people who love it here and all of their experiences. We can learn from both sides, and help.

Well put I agree !!

Also written by a previous poster, those who dont agree with the repariation thread they dont have to read it !!

I would be very interested in what percentage of people who do stay for a long long time/forever as opposoed to those who return to blighty ! and also howmany move on interstate.....:)

Personally I think it would add value to the forum, it is always useful to read other people's points of view especially if you are considering making the move to Adelaide. I don't think it does anyone any favours to pretend it is a utopia and that no-one returns to the UK. Even those people wavering about whether to come or not should make a point of reading other people's negative experiences as they can consider carefully whether they would be able to deal with certain things happening such as being out of work for extended periods, finances being stretched etc.

Just because someone is thinking about moving back does not mean that they should be excluded from the forum and have to build up new online friendships in other Moving Back to the UK forums at a time when actually getting advice from people they have been conversing with online for 3 or 4 years is what they need.

Having a separate section is a great idea, people can always choose to not go there if they so wish. Also remember if people have been in Adelaide for 4 or 5 years many things can change back in the UK around benefits, cost of living etc and the new people to the forum who are in the UK and considering a move to Adelaide can help advise them. It becomes a circular process and benefits everyone.

Guest guest569

I don't really see the need for it ON HERE although another forum would help those in need. Like said before why should anyone need info or help about moving back to a country they have lived in for many years previously ??? They would also have the family support network that people here miss so much to help them !!!!

Just my personal opinion so fire away.:biglaugh:

Like said before why should anyone need info or help about moving back to a country they have lived in for many years previously ???

For the very simple, and well documented fact, that when people move abroad, they change, and when they move back home, it can be difficult to re-integrate. I could point you towards dozens of articles, but as it has been said before on this thread, no one is interested right, and of course, if you've already formed an opinion on something you have no practical knowledge of, you won't be inclined to change your mind anyway.

This thread has devolved into something very sad. Can't wait until the poll is over, is can be locked, and the repatriation section is or is not started up. I also think, as some forums have, if the repatriation section is formed, it should be a completely harassment/snark free zone. No one who is going home needs to be bothered by/exposed to this sort of talk.

I mean really people, do you not have anything better to do with your time than argue against something you know/care nothing about? It's so....common...

Personally think it would be a good idea as due to credit crunch, visa difficulties etc it appears to me that a lot more people are contemplating having to return to the uk.

Living in a country,is not the same as leaving it and thereafter returning.There are as many difficulties to face going back as coming and encompass all manner of things,which you wouldnt encounter in your daily life in the uk,such as :

Cost of shipping back to the UK

The procedure for returning pets and vaccinations.

Rental requirements in uk,i have never rented in uk before so wouldnt know.

In addition i think as i think others have mentioned it is useful for those coming to see what difficulties may arise even if you 100% wanted to acheive a successful migration experience,things happen that may throw a spanner in the works.

Until i left the country i didnt realise that unless you are resident in the uk 3 yrs prior to your child starting university you have to pay international fees,which are very expensive in comparison to those paid by residents.

That could be a major issue for some people and there are i am sure lots of things that people are unaware of, until they experience it,so i think the more people are prepared for such eventualities ,the better it would be for them.

Sue

Guest guest569
For the very simple, and well documented fact, that when people move abroad, they change, and when they move back home, it can be difficult to re-integrate. I could point you towards dozens of articles, but as it has been said before on this thread, no one is interested right, and of course, if you've already formed an opinion on something you have no practical knowledge of, you won't be inclined to change your mind anyway.

This thread has devolved into something very sad. Can't wait until the poll is over, is can be locked, and the repatriation section is or is not started up. I also think, as some forums have, if the repatriation section is formed, it should be a completely harassment/snark free zone. No one who is going home needs to be bothered by/exposed to this sort of talk.

I mean really people, do you not have anything better to do with your time than argue against something you know/care nothing about? It's so....common...

:biglaugh:You sound VERY defensive Suzer ??? I'm not argueing with you . As is said so very often , its a forum madeup of differnt people with differnt opinions and we should all be allowed to voice them without the feeling of being abused or threatened.:nah:

:biglaugh:You sound VERY defensive Suzer ??? I'm not argueing with you . As is said so very often , its a forum madeup of differnt people with differnt opinions and we should all be allowed to voice them without the feeling of being abused or threatened.:nah:

Sure...I suggest something that might be of help to some, and others who couldn't get a rats furry behind about the topic, get all uppity. Like others have said, if you're not interested in topics pertaining to repatriation, don't visit the section, but don't try to deny others the support. It's not as though it will impact the information you get from the board, or affect your usage of PIA. I'm just stunned at times by the pettiness of message boards!

Guest Django

I have voted against the new section. Yes I can see the need for it but it is already up and running on PIO. Wouldn't it just be duplicating what is already there to read and added to?:confused:

But more to the point it will make more work for myself and Rachel :arghh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I don't blame Suzer for getting defensive - poor girl posts up something that might help a few people (and to be honest, she probably knows as much or more about issues facing lots of expats as anyone, not just from her personal viewpoint but also from the viewpoint of a lot of other people) and a couple of posters jump down her throat and turn it into something ugly! From an independent viewpoint (mine!) it all started to look like a personal attack on her, so I don't blame her for getting a little frustrated.

Give the girl a break, she's trying to help people, which in the end is what this forum is about - isn't it???????

and to be honest, she probably knows as much or more about issues facing lots of expats as anyone, not just from her personal viewpoint but also from the viewpoint of a lot of other people

And also because I've lived in 5 different countries over as many years. I wouldn't know what to go back to if I had to go home.

I have voted against the new section. Yes I can see the need for it but it is already up and running on PIO. Wouldn't it just be duplicating what is already there to read and added to?:confused:

But more to the point it will make more work for myself and Rachel :biglaugh:

It depends on whether the members of PIA also use PIO.

Happy to help if you need it.

It was a very innocent suggestion to begin with :goofy:

Guest guest569
And also because I've lived in 5 different countries over as many years. I wouldn't know what to go back to if I had to go home.

And would you need a forum to help you move back to America ???... NO Because your an intelligent , strong women who can use the net or PIO. so why the need here too ??

Just my opinion and last words on the subject.:notworthy:

And would you need a forum to help you move back to America ???... NO Because your an intelligent , strong women who can use the net or PIO. so why the need here too ??

Just my opinion and last words on the subject.:notworthy:

Actually yes I would need some support. I can't imagine moving back to the US and re-adjusting...just going home for a visit after 2 years was a bit of a culture shock in some ways. Being intelligent and strong doesn't mean you can or need to handle everything on your own. Unfortunately it is a paid forum for most sections, but American Expats in the UK has always had a great repat section. People need tips on all manner of things. And, if PIA was my expat network, why wouldn't I want support from here.