South Australia Housing Bubble

Guest BurgessFamily

What suburb do you live in guys? I was only saying today how disappointed I have been recently by so many houses being knocked down and two being built on the same block. One reason we came here is to have a large block of land with a big house, we ended up with 1354m2 block and a big house....great! But now there are so many lovely old big homes being demolished to make way for the greedy brigade, it's turning into England.....too many houses!!!!

i have to agree with you there. there should be some rule about that as it spoils the character of some of the more established areas where the little bit of history is:sad:

Guest BurgessFamily

1352m2! you could get 4 x 4 bedroomed houses on that! sub-divide and get closer to your neighbours. It's all part of the Greater Adelaide plan for 'high-density' living.

Guest sandar1
i have to agree with you there. there should be some rule about that as it spoils the character of some of the more established areas where the little bit of history is:sad:

It really is disappointing what they are doing to Adelaide, and you are only just witness to some of what has gone on in the past. There have been some amazing mansions that have just disappeared which should have been on the heritage list, properties which have been a part of Adelaide's history, including wedding venues etcetera.

SAAAD

Guest SA Great
1352m2! you could get 4 x 4 bedroomed houses on that! sub-divide and get closer to your neighbours. It's all part of the Greater Adelaide plan for 'high-density' living.

It's also on a 30 degree slope so it would be pretty hard to get 4 houses on!!!!

Guest kangomik

350K is a hard market, you compare back to what you had in the UK, and most here in that range are 30 years old or more and need a bulldozer to decorate it.

There will be one or two good ones but you need to get on the real estates books, to view these before they go on the market.

Or keep bidding.

The problem is you spend such a long time trying to find the right one then loads of others find em!!!

Thebacons, i found loads of houses on realestate.com, huge things for not much money. It's not untill you get to the areas (if they are even near Adelaide) that you will see why they are such a price. Those pictures never show the huge cracks in the walls etc.

Guest ben&sharon

I agree - $350k was what we originally started looking at, so that we could minimise our mortgage, but we had to reassess that once we got here - the houses in that bracket are few and far between and not really what we were looking for.

We got lucky in the end - we managed to get a 'private' viewing on a house that was due for an open the following week, and snapped it up before anyone else could see it. It's perfect for us, but we've paid over $400k for it.

The only thing I can recommend is to have another think about what you can afford, and if that really is your limit, then you need to get friendly with the estate agents as recommended above - you might get first look at something before it goes to open.

Very best of luck - it's a minefield!!

Sharon.

What suburb do you live in guys? I was only saying today how disappointed I have been recently by so many houses being knocked down and two being built on the same block. One reason we came here is to have a large block of land with a big house, we ended up with 1354m2 block and a big house....great! But now there are so many lovely old big homes being demolished to make way for the greedy brigade, it's turning into England.....too many houses!!!!

Hi SA GREAT,we are in Seacombe Gardens,one of the sales spiel lines had me laughing my head off"Shop till you Drop"cos its by the Marion Centre.We came here to get away from all that Crap.

Guest sandar1
Hi SA GREAT,we are in Seacombe Gardens,one of the sales spiel lines had me laughing my head off"Shop till you Drop"cos its by the Marion Centre.We came here to get away from all that Crap.

I still think that Seacombe Gardens - Heights and Seaview Downs are some of the best kept secrets of Adelaide, great location to everything really. I agree I am definately not a mall shopper, but I guess it is handy to have the supermarket, dentist, chemist and retail shops in one handy location. I live in Unley and love the area, walk to everything, and rarely drive these days, I can walk across the parklands and into the city, keeps me fit, saves money and at least there's a bit of personal interaction at the same time.

We built our first home in Seaview Downs 30 years ago, at the time it was an area where all of the builders were constructing their own homes, so many in there are very well constructed. The requirements for the foundations of the home were massive, we never had one crack in the walls. The views were magnificent, and it was and still is a great area in which to bring up your family. Only reason I moved was because my marriage came to an end and I needed to make a new life.

I have a house also in the city in Carrington Street, and love that place too, once again walk to everything, get lonely of an evening just spit yourself out the door and there's heaps to do, especially if you like music.

Anyway good luck to you all, finding a home is frustrating I know have lived all over the world and moved many times so have become quite fussy about what I want and need these days. Don't settle for something you don't like, if you don't get it the first time it means that something better is going to come along.

All the best.

Sandra

Guest SA Great

Yes Jo Lemmer from century 21 in blackwood is an expert at all that sales bull****, she drives me crazy.

Seacombe is a good spot, i am at flagstaff but do love marino