Guest bugbabe

League tables etc

Guest bugbabe

Hi,

I understand that there are no school league tables in Australia...this is fantastic! Firstly for the sanity of my children, who may remain children for a little while longer, and secondly, for my sanity. I am a secondary teacher and my life is ruled by data!:arghh:

If there are any teachers or on the ball parents out there, could you tell me how personal targets etc are worked out. It is so refreshing to think of a life without children's names being plotted to spread sheets and excel docs!:cute:

Thanks xxx

There is a framework which covers what should be covered and the skills needed etc. The teachers teach around this. There are National tests at gr 3, 5, 7, 9 but these are low key and in general the teachers don't just teach towards these. It used to be called the sacsa framework, but I'm sure they have given it some new fangled name and I'm sure a cohort of teachers will soon be telling you what it is.

Guest bugbabe

Thanks so much for your reply. Is the framework national as it is in England, or are the governed by each individual state?

Guest salisbury massive

Governed by each state. Australia is a country of mini countries all governed by their own Prime Minister and their own rules and regulations. Curriculum in each state is different. Actually if you commit a crime in one state and leg it you have to be extradited back to face charges.

Jo

Isn't Julia Gillard planning on introducing league tables? I remember first reading about it last year and have seen references to it quite a few times since - including today where there was an article on it in either The Age or The Australian.

Jim

Isn't Julia Gillard planning on introducing league tables? I remember first reading about it last year and have seen references to it quite a few times since - including today where there was an article on it in either The Age or The Australian.

Jim

The head at my daughters School also mentioned to me that they are planning on introducing league tables.

Guest fletch

A national australian curriculum is due to be phased in from 2011

http://www.acara.edu.au/curriculum.html

ACARA is responsible for the development of Australia’s national curriculum from Kindergarten to Year 12, starting with the learning areas of English, mathematics, the sciences and history, for implementation from 2011.

As a second phase of work, national curriculum will be developed in languages, geography and the arts. On 17 April, the Ministerial Council on Education, Employment, Training and Youth Affairs (MCEETYA) requested ACARA to report by October 2009 on the approach that will be taken to health and physical education (HPE), ICT, design and technology, economics, business and civics and citizenship in the national curriculum.

The development of continua for literacy and numeracy skills and ICT will be a foundation of the curriculum.

The curriculum will outline the essential skills, knowledge and capabilities that all young Australians are entitled to access, regardless of their social or economic background or the school they attend.

Information regarding school performance will be available on the ACARA website later this year...... http://www.acara.edu.au/reporting/reporting.html