mountain biking

Guest reevendeb

Guest reevendeb

could anybody let me know if there is any good mountain biking areas in or around adelaide. as my son and i are keen on this sport, and where we are living know we are quite spoilt for mountain bike areas with south west scotland, the lakes and north yorkshire only a couple of hours away in the car. its something i know we would miss about the u.k. but having said that we still look forward to going to adelaide.:cool::):)

Guest pasha

i have mates back home that do alot of mountain biking

try ringing mitcham council as i believe there are some runs within belair etc

also the flinders ranges is a bit of a mecca i have been told

if you are interested in cycling mattersi found this article:

SA to host 2009 BMX world championships

Ninemsn.com.au Wednesday Oct 11 11:32 AEST

South Australia will host the BMX world championships in 2009, an event the state government says will further enhance Adelaide's reputation as the cycling capital of Australia.

Adelaide will also host the international BMX Supercross event in 2008.

Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith said BMX racing was set to grow in significance after being included in the Olympics for the 2008 games in Beijing.

"These two events will add more world cycling disciplines to South Australia's already successful line-up of cycling events," Ms Lomax-Smith said.

The minister said the two events, along with the annual Tour Down Under race, would allow South Australia to capitalise on the growing cycle tourism market.

"We estimate more than 6,000 visitors, including competitors from interstate and overseas, will come to South Australia for the BMX world championships," she said.

"Up to $12 million will be pumped into the state's economy and the extra visitors will help to fill our hotels, shops and restaurants in the middle of winter, a quieter time for tourism in South Australia."

The BMX world championships will be staged in July 2009 and the BMX Supercross event will be held in April 2008.

Hi Guys my Oh is a mad mountain bike racer and competes in regional and 24 hour events around the uk so of course when we made the decision to go to oz the first thing he had to check out was the biking!!! http://www.amtbc.com/ is his fave site to drool over at the mo !! he is even thinking of racing when we come and validate !! ( i hope he is joking about that one !!:eek:)

weez

• 2 months later...
Guest laurajarrett

Hi Guys,

My Husband and son (11) are very much into mountain biking too.

We arrive in Adelaide on 6th Nov 07 so as soon as we,ve checked this out we will let you know.

:D Laura

I'd second the site Weez has put above - a good programme of races : we spent Labour Day Weekend at Melrose for the Fat Tyre Festival and there was certainly no shortage of riders (great camping up there too at the Bartagunya Winery!).

There's plenty of mountain biking places around, from Shepherds Hill to Eagle on the Hill to Fox Creek. You won't be short of places to go.

Diane

(who watches with a glass of wine in hand while OH does all that strenuous stuff!)

Guest reevendeb
Hi Guys,

My Husband and son (11) are very much into mountain biking too.

We arrive in Adelaide on 6th Nov 07 so as soon as we,ve checked this out we will let you know.

:D Laura

thanks for your reply laura, from what i,ve heard from other expats in adelaide it sounds like there is plenty mountain areas around. you never know we may bump into one another on the trails mate:biglaugh: