Not all bad on the Exchange Rate ..........!!!!

Guest graandjac

Guest covfan71

God you're a hard lot. The main point i was trying to get across is that what we dreamed of last year is now less and less likely. It doesn;t mean to say we won't come over but when you have to look higher up the job ladder for a more paid job than you originally planned in order to pay the extra mortgage etc it does become more of a worry. If i could walk straight into a well paid job then fine but you all know it isn't that easy. If it takes months to get a job then it could affect us. That's the point i was trying to make.

God you're a hard lot. The main point i was trying to get across is that what we dreamed of last year is now less and less likely. It doesn;t mean to say we won't come over but when you have to look higher up the job ladder for a more paid job than you originally planned in order to pay the extra mortgage etc it does become more of a worry. If i could walk straight into a well paid job then fine but you all know it isn't that easy. If it takes months to get a job then it could affect us. That's the point i was trying to make.

well you are a Coventry fan:):)

Simon

We were also (18 months ago) on a dropping £/$ and it was a huge drop in the dollors we ended up with.........but look on the bright side, there is a flip side to this.

Australia has just put up intrest rates, the first of the developed countries to do so, for the second month in a row the unenployed rate has dropped, and house prices are showing signs of rising, I know how much people bring has a huge bearing on the start they will get , but be a assured that the Australian economy is in a very good position in the world right now, and the word recession doesn't even get used, just trying to shed some goodness on the falling rate:)

Well as long as everyone who is already over theres ok;),the way its going it will be a dollar a quid!!!!!!! not good for us still not over there!

Like most people, for us there was a range of things that we hoped for in our new life over here: a good balance of work and leisure time, a new adventure and a chance to experience living in a different culture, better weather (hard to write that while keeping a straight face at the moment with the wind and rain rattling the windows yet again!) etc.

Another of these things was to have the sort of house we couldn't afford in the UK. We soon realised - mostly through research and speaking to others who had made the move, either on sites like this or in person - that the days of coming here with a modest pile of money and living like millionaires was over (if it had ever actually existed) and that the myth of things being so much cheaper than the UK was just that; a myth.

Still, while we readjusted our dreams and mentally downsized the sort of house we could afford, we didn't want to come here and be financially much worse off than we were in the UK. Different people make the move for different reasons and have different opinions of where they've come from and where they've gone to, of course, and for us, the UK was and remains a great place, it's just that we were ready to explore somewhere else in the world. Both Adel and I had good jobs, we had a nice house in a lovely village, and no debts or loans apart from a small mortgage. So, while we knew that there would be some disruption to our finances while we settled into whatever new place we went to (and there wasn't just Adelaide or even just Australia on the short list), we weren't planning on being permanently financially worse off; had we thought that was the deal we wouldn't have made the move.

Between first considering Adelaide and making the move, roughly two and a half years passed. During that time, our dreams went through several more iterations as house prices here rose and the market in the UK slowed down.

Fortunately, I landed a decent job here not long after arriving, and much of what money we brought with us remained intact. As the moment, being in a rental, we're comfortable; once our house is built and we're paying off the mortgage, things will be much tighter (strange how the house has shrunk as our plans have changed but the mortgage has got bigger!)

Still, our dream is intact, the reasons for moving here remain valid and we're having our house built. All the bells and whistles that go with the house - the pool being the obvious example - will take much longer to achieve than we'd hoped, but that's simply a case of reprioritising things, not giving up on them.

Is this just how we'd imagined it would be? Not in the detail, no, but in the big themes - spending more time together, having a house built etc - then yes, it's panning out nicely. Is it tougher than we thought? No, it's just that expecting it to be tough is one thing; experiencing it is quite another.

Jim

Guest happy feet
Like most people, for us there was a range of things that we hoped for in our new life over here: a good balance of work and leisure time, a new adventure and a chance to experience living in a different culture, better weather (hard to write that while keeping a straight face at the moment with the wind and rain rattling the windows yet again!) etc.

Another of these things was to have the sort of house we couldn't afford in the UK. We soon realised - mostly through research and speaking to others who had made the move, either on sites like this or in person - that the days of coming here with a modest pile of money and living like millionaires was over (if it had ever actually existed) and that the myth of things being so much cheaper than the UK was just that; a myth.

Still, while we readjusted our dreams and mentally downsized the sort of house we could afford, we didn't want to come here and be financially much worse off than we were in the UK. Different people make the move for different reasons and have different opinions of where they've come from and where they've gone to, of course, and for us, the UK was and remains a great place, it's just that we were ready to explore somewhere else in the world. Both Adel and I had good jobs, we had a nice house in a lovely village, and no debts or loans apart from a small mortgage. So, while we knew that there would be some disruption to our finances while we settled into whatever new place we went to (and there wasn't just Adelaide or even just Australia on the short list), we weren't planning on being permanently financially worse off; had we thought that was the deal we wouldn't have made the move.

Between first considering Adelaide and making the move, roughly two and a half years passed. During that time, our dreams went through several more iterations as house prices here rose and the market in the UK slowed down.

Fortunately, I landed a decent job here not long after arriving, and much of what money we brought with us remained intact. As the moment, being in a rental, we're comfortable; once our house is built and we're paying off the mortgage, things will be much tighter (strange how the house has shrunk as our plans have changed but the mortgage has got bigger!)

Still, our dream is intact, the reasons for moving here remain valid and we're having our house built. All the bells and whistles that go with the house - the pool being the obvious example - will take much longer to achieve than we'd hoped, but that's simply a case of reprioritising things, not giving up on them.

Is this just how we'd imagined it would be? Not in the detail, no, but in the big themes - spending more time together, having a house built etc - then yes, it's panning out nicely. Is it tougher than we thought? No, it's just that expecting it to be tough is one thing; experiencing it is quite another.

Jim

jim, what a great post...glad things working out for you all

cara

Jim

excellent post jim :) it really is the long term dream that matters!

Guest graandjac
It is yes,BUT.........house prices rising in oz and the exchange rate is making the initial move more and more difficult for those of us still in the uk

Jim superb post.:notworthy:.......I guess there is no pleasing some people.......!!!!!!,believe me what some people have gone through to get to their dreams, puts money into ......well ......dosen't even come into it.

Jim superb post.:notworthy:.......I guess there is no pleasing some people.......!!!!!!,believe me what some people have gone through to get to their dreams, puts money into ......well ......dosen't even come into it.

Money ALLWAYS comes into it,Read jims post again i suggest,you will see money/finances/mortgage has been mentioned a few times,and whilst they seem a very pragmatic and adaptable cpl,money WAS an issue for them,as it is for EVERYONE, unless your delusional,or your names dick whittington!btw you included my post so................what is it IM supposed to be PLEASED about ,The falling/plummeting exchange rate?houses becoming less affordable in oz?house values falling in uk? as i said,its ok if your there,and good luck to all who are there btw,but its not so good if you are still trying to get there,thats simple enough/the truth isnt it?Im just stating a fact.............thats all. Btw jim and adel........glad its going well for yer,good luck

Guest graandjac

what is it IM supposed to be PLEASED about ,The falling/plummeting exchange rate?houses becoming less affordable in oz?house values falling in uk?

No the fact your coming to a country that is not on it's knees, and was one of the only modernised countrys to survive the global recession, and is proud to call its self AUSTRALIA or does this count for nothing.....?....If you go back to starting thread I was mearly offering some optimism:swoon:.

what is it IM supposed to be PLEASED about ,The falling/plummeting exchange rate?houses becoming less affordable in oz?house values falling in uk?

No the fact your coming to a country that is not on it's knees, and was one of the only modernised countrys to survive the global recession, and is proud to call its self AUSTRALIA or does this count for nothing.....?....If you go back to starting thread I was mearly offering some optimism:swoon:.

Maybe, but i repeat....................the situation is making it difficult to ACTUALLY GET OUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE:skeptical:

Guest graandjac
Maybe, but i repeat....................the situation is making it difficult to ACTUALLY GET OUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE:skeptical:

How about we agree to disagree, good luck ;)

How about we agree to disagree, good luck

I cant agree to disagree,one........... because i DONT actually disagree with with you that the positives you mention are correct,they are! im just looking at it from the point of view of someone who is yet to get there,so obviously the rising house prices etc arnt good for me "in the short term",thats all,theres no right or wrong on this,its just looking at it from two different perspectives,if that makes sense? i just didnt like your comment re "you cant please some people" and the numerous exclamation marks!,so i just thought i'd give my opinion on the "positives" you mention as someone who is YET TO GET THERE, dont mind do you?:idea:good luck to you as well:p

I cant agree to disagree,one........... because i DONT actually disagree with with you that the positives you mention are correct,they are! im just looking at it from the point of view of someone who is yet to get there,so obviously the rising house prices etc arnt good for me "in the short term",thats all,theres no right or wrong on this,its just looking at it from two different perspectives,if that makes sense? i just didnt like your comment re "you cant please some people" and the numerous exclamation marks!,so i just thought i'd give my opinion on the "positives" you mention as someone who is YET TO GET THERE, dont mind do you?:idea:good luck to you as well:p

Well the interest rates are on the rise here right now, which the city slickers reckon will have an affect on house prices, they say they will slow down and maybe even begin to backtrack as they put rates up.

Therefore if your coming here with lotsa cash you may well be better off sticking it in the bank and trying to become one of the richies and renting somewhere, rather than buying a house that may be worth alot less than in the future than what you paid for it...

All of the ifs/buts and maybes...if only we had a crystal ball so we could see...

HG

Guest covfan71

I'm glad there is someone else seeing this from my point of view as well. After reading the article posted a few comments back, those of use who have applications in for a 475 visa are going to suffer even more. As if having to wait now for up to 3 years for our visa isn't bad enough, by the time we arrive the house prices will have risen by 23%. I am getting the feeling that someone is trying to tell us something. (lol) Lets hope the exchange rate gets back up to what it was last year.

Guest guest569

Unfortunately its just one of those things.:goofy:

We came out in 05'. People on their way now might say i got here at the right time, exchange rate was better, house and land prices lower etc.....

I on the other hand could say exactly the same about how lucky people were who came out in 2000.

people should just accept the cards life deals them and be gratefull they have the chance to try another country. there are alot of people who would give their left testicle for the chance to move to Oz at any cost but for one reason or another the migration system won't allow them !!!:nah:

All just my own opinion of course !!!;)

Guest covfan71
Unfortunately its just one of those things.:goofy:

We came out in 05'. People on their way now might say i got here at the right time, exchange rate was better, house and land prices lower etc.....

I on the other hand could say exactly the same about how lucky people were who came out in 2000.

people should just accept the cards life deals them and be gratefull they have the chance to try another country. there are alot of people who would give their left testicle for the chance to move to Oz at any cost but for one reason or another the migration system won't allow them !!!:nah:

All just my own opinion of course !!!;)

Totally agree. All these obstacles won't deter us. we still have every intention of moving out there. These extra hurdles just make us more determined. we'll also have to do a bit more saving.

Guest graandjac

Dont mind at all;)