Selling household items

suzer

I use a hifi forum & most of these forums do have a classifieds section. When you have been on there for a while you get to know who's who even though you may not know them in person. Many of the users sell items when they are changing or upgrading their systems & I have bought and sold from them saving myself a lot of money. It means if you are in doubt about how trustworthy they are, you can ask if they have sold to other members & then contact them for a reference, and you can see their selling and posting history if you want to look. It's all part of a very useful forum. You tend not to trust people who just come on the forum & place an advert, but of course its always 'buyer beware'.

In many ways, I feel happier buying stuff from the forum members than using ebay, paypal etc where there are so many scams in operation plus it means no charges!

I'd like to see a classifieds section on here - there are people who need to buy or sell things 2nd hand & why not, but I do understand the problems mentioned in posts above & nobody wants to see it turning into gumtree.

Perhaps there is a way you can restrict who can post in a classifieds section?

I feel this is unfair. So do people just have to say a silly comment to get their posts up???

You can't judge what a person is like and whether they are trustworthy based on the number of posts

Maybe people read behind the scenes and don't feel like contributing - there is often a backlash when someone does and at times the forum isn't as friendly as its made out.

I would rather buy from someone on here than Gumtree - I think we all have one thing in common and to help out I thought was one of the main reasons the forum existed.

I have helped people out I don't know from adam and I have done that because I know how they feel regardless whether they are moderators, senior members or otherwise

I don't think that it's right to discriminate against a person who may have only posted twice, etc, considering some of the rubbish that gets posted!

Lisa

Guest caoimhe
I don't think that it's right to discriminate against a person who may have only posted twice, etc, considering some of the rubbish that gets posted!

Lisa

No one is trying to discriminate against new members but lately there seems to be a few people that are only using the site to sell goods or advertise their services or products. I have bought from someone on the site and I felt safe doing so and I believe it is a great way to sell off some unwanted stuff that may be of great use to someone starting out here but the For Sale section is a sub-section of the forum and the forum is to ask for and give advice to all who are making the move, not for some who seem to think its an estate agents or car dealership:arghh:

There'll always be a need to stop the For Sale section becoming another free-for-all however the question becomes one of "where do you draw the line?" or, perhaps more pointedly, "how do you draw the line?"

Should someone with two posts be less regarded than someone with, say, a two dozen? If so, why?

I've bought from here and so has the missus. We both read rather than post though so what would happen if we wanted to sell an item? Would we be required to spam for a while, generating pointless comments to add to threads purely to get our post count up to the required threshold? What would happen if we did? Having reached that threshold could we then become second-hand goods dealers (or similar) and spam the For Sale section mercilessly as, after all, we would by then have surpassed the required post count.

Edit: This is my 14th post apparently. Do I get to sell things yet?

There'll always be a need to stop the For Sale section becoming another free-for-all however the question becomes one of "where do you draw the line?" or, perhaps more pointedly, "how do you draw the line?"

Should someone with two posts be less regarded than someone with, say, a two dozen? If so, why?

I've bought from here and so has the missus. We both read rather than post though so what would happen if we wanted to sell an item? Would we be required to spam for a while, generating pointless comments to add to threads purely to get our post count up to the required threshold? What would happen if we did? Having reached that threshold could we then become second-hand goods dealers (or similar) and spam the For Sale section mercilessly as, after all, we would by then have surpassed the required post count.

Edit: This is my 14th post apparently. Do I get to sell things yet?

Couldn't agree more

I cannot believe this thread is still going. The moderators who are assigned to the 'for sale' section make the decission. They don't use post counts or length of membership to judge whether someone can post in this section. they wil use a little thing called common sense. Can we put this matter to rest now????