mathijohn

Calling UK on mobiles

hi we have arrived and were in OAA accommodation with no access to a land line. Can anyone advise me of a cheap option for calling UK on my mobile.

I wondered if the phone cards you buy to use with a land line worked with mobiles.

Thanks in anticipation.

Moira

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Hi

If you haven't already got yourself an Oz mobile I would get Virgin. You can do PAYG or contract for $29 a month which gives you $150 of credit and unlike other networks calls to UK come out of that credit. Also get totally free calls and texts to other Virgin phones.

I find that more than enough although I'm not one for ringing rellies regularly but I don't have to worry how long I stay on when I do.

Rachel

If you get a call card (such as GoTalk or one of the others - ask in your local Post Office) you can use these from public pay phones - call costs 40c. We used to do this all the time when we first arrived. I reckon using a mobile would be an expensive way to go.

Guest WoodMartin

I was also going to suggest Skype if you have got internet sorted on a laptop or phone.

Guest marco

We got go talk pre-pay mobile sim cards, and it is only 7c per minute to call UK. We got them from a phone shop in the city train station walkway.

Guest Emu

Hi,

i have a mobile with 3 and i get $100 dollars worth of internatioanl calls (on $29 package upt to $49 package), is at least 30m worth of calls maybe more, cant remember exactly. And free international texts. My husband also with 3 gets skype on his phone, he pays $5 a month and gets 400m worth (the skype would work anywhere as it is linked to the 3 phone network, i mean as long as u have 3 coverage in aldinga, which i am sure you have ...).

also 3 didnt give us as much crap in order to open an account with a contract, some others didnt allow us to get a phone.

hope it helps.

Guest kangomik

Skype doesn't work in Aldinga????????????

I have 3 mobile, and it's the tinyest of bandwith due to are (granted no the mighty Aldinga) but we still get skype, always have across the various location across adelaide.

Try the local library, then you can sit out side and use a lap top, i trust you have one to be on here. Just make sure the battery is good.

Makkers does wifi too.

Trust me this all helps in the beginning untill you get sorted with a good connection.

Skype to a UK mobile is about 10P per minute, less than 1 p to a land line.

After that its phone cards all the way mate.

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide

Hi we buy a $10 anytime phone card from a phone shop in woodcroft shopping centre next to foodland, we can make international calls to uk and other countries for as little as 3c per min other countries vary but none over 10c per min, we call from aussie mobile on virgin as mentioned in previous post you get about $150 bonus credit when you buy $29 cap or $180 with $35 cap, almost forgot to add that for your $10 anytime card we get 300 mins to uk landline!

Hope this helps

Dave

Guest lippy
    planning to rent in Aldinga, and skype doesn't work there apparently though i will download it on laptop.

Hi Moira

Skype does work here, we use it all the time!

Julie