Rachiegarlo

10 pound poms

Have just watched this on DVD, very interesting and although mainly about the people who came in the 5s and 60s, the problems they faced are still ones a lot of migrants face today. One of the couples intervewed who seemed to settle the most quickly was the couple who distanced themselves from the whinging set and threw themselves into it. I do think this is still an important viewpoint, it is still as hard to leave family, arrive and find it's not what you expected etc and there will always be those who go back. Anyways it was an interesting DVD, if you can get hold of it it's worth watching.

Guest Admar72

Sounds interesting as my dad sailed to Melbourne as a £10 pom way back when ( the family traveled back to UK a couple of years later) Where can I find this DVD?

Maria

Guest the4hopes

We have watched this, it was amazing what the families went through and what they were told they were coming to!

Guest shed end col

My Uncle and Aunt came here in 1966 as ten pound poms. There still here and loving life.

Have just watched this on DVD, very interesting and although mainly about the people who came in the 5s and 60s, the problems they faced are still ones a lot of migrants face today. One of the couples intervewed who seemed to settle the most quickly was the couple who distanced themselves from the whinging set and threw themselves into it. I do think this is still an important viewpoint, it is still as hard to leave family, arrive and find it's not what you expected etc and there will always be those who go back. Anyways it was an interesting DVD, if you can get hold of it it's worth watching.

We try and surround ourselves with forward thinking people..and to try and help those who are having a tought time of it as much help, advice and encouragement as possible...we know its tough out heer and are keen to help assist anyone that we can.

Would like to find this dvd tho...and have a look at what it was like back in the day...

Good popst Rachie

HG

Guest shed end col

I bought the 10 pound poms dvd for my Unc n Aunt. Found it in the ABC shop TTP .

Guest motlyman

My parents came over as 10pound poms in 1963.

We were here for 7 yrs up in Salisbury.

My Auntie and uncle were allready here and encouraged my parents to come over.

But they were settled away from the "pomie village area" and they feel it was the whinging going on that sent my mum back (and us).

I never new what was going on and allways wanted to come back.

Been back here 3 yrs now.

Colin