Sign in to follow this  
Guest sa2uk2oz

COSTCO & Electrical Tools

Guest sa2uk2oz

Hello all

Does anyone know if there is a Costco in Adelaide, big warehouse type factory, sells bulk?

Also, how does the price of electrical tools compare. Is it better to buy here and ship over or to buy there?

Thanks

Claire

:wubclub:

Guest chillyanna

hi

i dont think costco are in australia but im sure somebody will tell you of a simlar company.

regards the tool situation, i would not take power tools over because you would have to change the plugs on them and also autralians like to check tools every few months to see if they are still in good working condition. if it is for building sites well from what i have learned they use 240V anyway so i wont be taking my 110V power tools.

if your power tools are 240v and you only want to use them around the house or odd jobing then it might be worth taking andchanging the plugs but i think you would be better selling up and buying new there.

try these sites for new tool prices:

www.grahams.com.au

www.justtools.com.au

www.toolshop.com.au

or even try ebay australia. i have found good items on ebay for good prices.

hope this helps you decide.

Guest dglamoore

Hi

Greg has bought all his tools over 110 and 240 plus a transformer and uses them all no problem. Know lots of tradies that have bought there stuff with them and use it all :cute:

You can see the same sort of budget tools here same as uk and can get the heavier duty stuff (dewalt etc). Prices seem to be very similar to UK. If you can get them in the container though they are worth bringing rather than spending out for nothing. They have to be clean of any wood or dirt material for AQIS.

There are no Costco's here and have not come across bulk warehouses yet - we used to use Makro and do miss some of the stuff we used to be able to pick up there :unsure:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest chillyanna

well thanks lisa, you even enlightend me there! i asked the same question months ago and never realy got a good reply, mostly negative on the subject of 110v tools in oz.

so if you know of cases of them in use with no problems them maybe i will think again about bringing all my 110v tools over with me.

thanks again

paul

Guest dglamoore

Hi Paul

no worries - it is all one big learning curve and we are still learning new stuff all the time :unsure: we just thought we would bring it and hope and it works fine.

Guest chillyanna

hi lisa,

so are you certain that using 110v tools on australian building sites is fine and the site agents dont mind it either? does your O/H use 110v on site?

thanks

Guest dglamoore

Greg has not personally worked on building sites as not his trade but know plenty of chippies etc that seem to use them ok

hi lisa,

so are you certain that using 110v tools on australian building sites is fine and the site agents dont mind it either? does your O/H use 110v on site?

thanks

Must admit it would be very interesting to know if anyone uses 110v tools on site as even though all being well i will be working as a site manager and not on tools i was still planning to take over all my 110v tools that i have from my carpenter days to use round the house at least!

Also does anyone know if anyone out there who uses the forum works as a site manager to have a chat about the work out there?

Guest soggy
    Must admit it would be very interesting to know if anyone uses 110v tools on site as even though all being well i will be working as a site manager and not on tools i was still planning to take over all my 110v tools that i have from my carpenter days to use round the house at least!

Also does anyone know if anyone out there who uses the forum works as a site manager to have a chat about the work out there?

Hi Ian,

I expect its much the same as here, drinking lots of tea, chatting on the phone,and finding fault with my work.;)

Simon

Hi Ian,

I expect its much the same as here, drinking lots of tea, chatting on the phone,and finding fault with my work.;)

Simon

Coffee for me and no suger please Soggy!!

Got to snag the painting might be some time!!;)

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi

My OH a chippie and we have had the dilema of 110V tools. We have emailed many people and had varying comments. Have contacted BSA and here was the response we got.

Thank you for your recent email enquiry.

With regards to your 110V Power tools, we advise you contact the Electrical Safety Office on 1300 362 320 or www.eso.qld.gov.au.

However, if you want to work as a carpenter in Queensland and perform work over $1100.00 (this amount is inclusive of materials, labour and GST), you need to hold a BSA licence. Please follow this link for more information on the requirements to be eligible for a carpenter's licence:

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/BuildersContractors/LicensingInformation/NewClasses/CP.htm. and for an application form:

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/7E0F89F5-228F-41A5-B1AA-659F1CB0DE5B/0/IndividualApplicationForm.pdf.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Contact Centre on 1300 272 272 (Mon-Fri 7am-5pm), if you have any questions.

Kind Regards

DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

ABN 52 293 849 579

Workplace Health & Safety Queensland Infoline

Freecall: 1800 177 717 Phone: 07-32474711

Our Reference: 12042 RC

Dear Mr Mason ,

Thank you for your email regarding overseas power tools. If you are using these in a workplace and they are for personal use only there is no certification required. You are however required to ensure they are safe for use. Queensland uses a three flat pin power plug so you may need to a use an adapter for an overseas tool's pin arrangement. Also we have 240 V AC power supply so you may also need to use your tools in conjuction with a transformer if they are rated for 110 V .

For further information, please contact Infoline on 1300 369 915, or 1800 177 717

Yours faithfully

Information Services Officer

WHSQ Infoline

Information Registration and Licensing

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

Customer Service Officer

Queensland Building Services Authority

PMB 84

Coorparoo DC QLD 4151

Ph: 1300 272 272

Fax: 3225 2999

Hope this helps a bit.