loans

Prema

Wondering if anyone has had any experiences that they could share with regards to loans.

Since the exchange rate is rubbish for GBP we will be keeping our money in the UK, for the time being.

We have already applied for NAB bank accounts, here. As hubbie already has a job there, would we have a good chance of being approved a loan to buy a car, as soon as we arrive?

Guest Chris Cooke

Hi Prema,

You should be fine, as long as you have some income and employment verification. Be careful of the quoted rate being loaded by brokerage, and of any penalties charged if you pay the loan out early. Always compare the dealer finance offer with a bank or credit union.

Chris

Guest searknubley
Wondering if anyone has had any experiences that they could share with regards to loans.

Since the exchange rate is rubbish for GBP we will be keeping our money in the UK, for the time being.

We have already applied for NAB bank accounts, here. As hubbie already has a job there, would we have a good chance of being approved a loan to buy a car, as soon as we arrive?

hi our only experience was around loans for our student daughter, every case is rated on it's individual merits, they take into account your assets like the amount of cash in your account, car etc etc...they have no interest what's left in England only what you have here and how long you've worked here..good luck!

I have a somewhat related question I can't seem to find an answer to: I think as a migrant you can transfer money without paying taxes as if it were income in Australia right? But if you do it later because you wait for better rates, will you then lose that option. Do you have to transfer your funds for example in the year of entry?

Sorry if this was already answered.

I have a somewhat related question I can't seem to find an answer to: I think as a migrant you can transfer money without paying taxes as if it were income in Australia right? But if you do it later because you wait for better rates, will you then lose that option. Do you have to transfer your funds for example in the year of entry?

Sorry if this was already answered.

Hi there

It could be possible that there is tax to pay on a foreign exchange gain, however there are many factors involved as to whether there is or not.

Just a point, if YOU feel that exchange rates will improve and are happy waiting until that time then if tax is payable it would be on the forex gain only, not the whole amount.

If your wait pays off and you achieve a better rate and you do have tax to pay then you are paying tax on money you didn't have, rather than changing at a lower point to avoid tax but not making extra money, ie is it better to pay tax on profit than not to pay tax but not make any profit?

Second point, what are you going to be using the money for when you do change it?

Could it be better to change at a lower rate because if the intended purchase/investment is currently growing it may outperform in that period of time the wait for the exchange to improve anyway?

Just some considerations.

Regards

Andy