Guest guest3462

Wanted: Single sit on kayak

Guest guest3462

Does anyone have a single sit on kayak they want to pass on, please let me know as I am really interested in buying one.

Thanks

JC

Guest Guest5035

Is it a Kayak or surf/wave ski which is what we had, bit of a difference.

Stevo.

Guest rachinadelaide
    Does anyone have a single sit on kayak they want to pass on, please let me know as I am really interested in buying one.

Thanks

JC

Hi, we bought a double kayak a couple of years ago. We almost bought a sit-on-top but spoke to friends and tried some out and ended up spending quite a bit more to get a sit-in, sea-going kayak and it was the right decision to make!! We have friends with sit-on-tops and theirs don't steer well, go fast or handle choppy water. The novelty wore off pretty quickly for them but we are still going strong with ours.

There are probably some very good sit-on-tops and good reasons for wanting one but I thought I'd share our experience of kayak shopping with you! Hope you don't mind!!

We ended up buying ours second hand from a kayak hire company in the South - Access Canoes/Kayaks. Owned by a guy called Roger - nice guy and can sell you all the gear.

Rachel

Hi, we bought a double kayak a couple of years ago. We almost bought a sit-on-top but spoke to friends and tried some out and ended up spending quite a bit more to get a sit-in, sea-going kayak and it was the right decision to make!! We have friends with sit-on-tops and theirs don't steer well, go fast or handle choppy water. The novelty wore off pretty quickly for them but we are still going strong with ours.

There are probably some very good sit-on-tops and good reasons for wanting one but I thought I'd share our experience of kayak shopping with you! Hope you don't mind!!

We ended up buying ours second hand from a kayak hire company in the South - Access Canoes/Kayaks. Owned by a guy called Roger - nice guy and can sell you all the gear.

Rachel

That's useful info for me as I am interested in something but cannot work out which is best.

Maybe worth me trying a few different craft from a hire shop.

What's the difference with a normal kayak and a sea going one?

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest guest3462

Thanks Rach, thats really useful. I think we're mostly going to be on the river so hopefully the only waves are ones made by passing boats!! I've been after one for a while and had a go this weekend and loved it. Will check out the place where you got yours fom. Thanks again

JC xxx

Guest rachinadelaide
    That's useful info for me as I am interested in something but cannot work out which is best.

Maybe worth me trying a few different craft from a hire shop.

What's the difference with a normal kayak and a sea going one?

Cheers,

Cooler

Ours has a rudder, 3 sealed bulk heads (I think this is the correct terminology for the bits full of air that stop you sinking if you take on lots of water...) and a lip for attaching a skirt (to keep the larger waves out). It's also very stable and it would take a large wave side-on to knock us in (although I have managed to capsize it by trying to mess about with the rudder when it got jammed - lesson learned!!).

You would need to talk to the sales person about whether it's a sea-going craft or just for calm waters.

Our kayak is one of the best things we've ever bought!! Whilst it was expensive (second-hand double kayak plus all the gear approx $2500) we have used it so much and have had a few holidays on the Murray because of it and several fab weekends away with it. Next hol with it will be the Glenelg river just over the border - it's supposed to be gorgeous and the campsites have no vehicle tracks to them so it's boaties only!!

Happy to answer any more kayaking questions - I think everyone should own a kayak!!

Happy shoppng, Rach

Guest rachinadelaide
    Thanks Rach, thats really useful. I think we're mostly going to be on the river so hopefully the only waves are ones made by passing boats!! I've been after one for a while and had a go this weekend and loved it. Will check out the place where you got yours fom. Thanks again

JC xxx

No worries - I can enthuse for ages about kayaking.....don't get me started!!

Guest guest3462
    Theres one in the paper today,

Hi Kangomik, I just looked at that one and when I googled the make, Anaconda have issued a national safety recall on them for a bouyancy defect!!! So I think i'll give this one a miss!!:(

Thanks though

JC xxx