Last weeks in UK.....

she1971

Guest joolz
Well we made it!!!! Thanks to all for their support.

We've been here a week so will post our update!!!

Excellent...hope the flights were good? We are counting down the days...2 weeks to go and we will be at Heathrow...woo hhoooooo!!!!!

Brilliant,

I love your positive posts HEAPS GOOD, they always make me smile.

I remember you wrote some good optomistic responses to us when when we were going through the visa process and just before we came out.

Exactly what we want to hear on here.

Bex

Well you gotta be positive else there aint no point coming over half hearted...

HG

• 3 weeks later...
Guest P00hbear

I have found all these posts reassuring.... we are now at 4 months and counting and am feeling just like you all did - i guess you are all there now - any regrets?

Is there anything that you didn't bring that you wished you did? Anything you didn't do before you came that you wish you did? Just wondering if I can learn anything from you experiences brits in oz?!

Guest hel&sam

make sure you schedule to see everyone in advance, i found everyone wanted to see us in the last couple of days and you're sooooo busy you just cant fit anyone else in. see all the places in the uk you would like to.

shop....bring as many good quality clothes as you can, decent stuff is expensive here, dont bother bringing loads of cheap and cheerful stuff, you can get that here.

fit as much stuff in your container as you possibly can, if you use a tatty old dish bring it, dont chuck it all out, think i had too much of a de clutter.

get on facebook

enjoy the countdown, go with the flow its a rollercoaster.

No regrets, glad we did it pretty soon we'll be in the loving it camp, we'll be staying but its not all plain sailing.

have fun

Helen.xx

make sure you schedule to see everyone in advance, i found everyone wanted to see us in the last couple of days and you're sooooo busy you just cant fit anyone else in. see all the places in the uk you would like to.

shop....bring as many good quality clothes as you can, decent stuff is expensive here, dont bother bringing loads of cheap and cheerful stuff, you can get that here.

fit as much stuff in your container as you possibly can, if you use a tatty old dish bring it, dont chuck it all out, think i had too much of a de clutter.

get on facebook

enjoy the countdown, go with the flow its a rollercoaster.

No regrets, glad we did it pretty soon we'll be in the loving it camp, we'll be staying but its not all plain sailing.

have fun

Helen.xx

loving it camp whata that? :chatterbox:

HG

Guest joolz
I have found all these posts reassuring.... we are now at 4 months and counting and am feeling just like you all did - i guess you are all there now - any regrets?

Is there anything that you didn't bring that you wished you did? Anything you didn't do before you came that you wish you did? Just wondering if I can learn anything from you experiences brits in oz?!

Hi we are out the other side and hated the last few weeks being in the UK!!! Yukky Goodbyes and all...sniff sniff

We are now a week into our new life and a little fresh off the plane, but we put as much as we could into our container...let's face it if you've paid for it, you should fill it!!! I didn't bother stocking up on much to be honest...a few weeks down the line I may wish i had, but you can pretty much get everything you need here and what you can't get... just do without!

We picked up our new car today and we only went into the garage on Monday...we were lucky as they had some in stock as it is the end of the financial year and there are sales everywhere!!! It's gorgeous!!!

So far we are enjoying our time here although there is alot to sort out first off. Our new driving licences came through today also and we only applied for them on Monday too!!! All in all I think that you get a much better service here...people are are really friendly but be prepared for lots of chatting as they are interested in what you are doing and where you are from lol!!!

Guest kangomik

Love hel&sam post, it is so spot on.

bring EVERYTHING, you can bin it if you need to once you are here.

It's hard graft people, real hard at times, and it isn't an extension of the UK. Although the weather at the moment, ahh well it is winter and we love the seasons.

Come with an open mind, and a relaxed attitude and things should flow.

Do not leave everything until the last minute regarding family etc when leaving, plan it well, spend time with people.

Have fun and hold on tight

Guest WhatNow?

Also, you may not be able to get away with this, but if you can say your goodbyes the day before you leave and have NO ONE come to the airport 'to see you off' you will find that you will not be so stressed out just before the journey. While emotional goodbyes may be what people expect, try to get them out of the way before the day you leave, then you can begin to get excited about the journey and start to look forward to what is to come rather than leaving with the last minute angst. There will be enough of that between now and when you leave. My sister and her family arranged their departure to avoid the clinging on of relatives at the departure gate by travelling to the airport the night before and staying in the airport hotel. They then got up after a good night's sleep and had chance to sit and talk about their forthcoming adventure with their kids. The whole experience became much more of a positive thing than it would otherwise. They say it was the best thing they could have done. All the tears out of the way and able to start the big adventure in a positive light. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down...I just had two good, sensible, level headed friends take me to the airport and although there were tears, they were tears of 'we wish we could come with you' rather than 'we wish you weren't going'.

Guest angiestaff
We got dropped @ Heathrow by a mate who went straight back to Cheltenham he didng hang around as i could see he was pretty upset by it all.

We banned anyone from coming to the airport, it was hard enough leaving them.

HG

we did exactly the same, we had a mate drop us at the airport hotel and then the next day we had a taxi to take us to heathrow, still had spontaneous moments of crying though! husband didn't know if i was gonna laugh or cry when he looked at me :biglaugh:

ange

Hi.....I thought about it and you know if I could i would have spent soooo much more time with those that REALLY matter, but looking back don't know how would have fitted it in! Those last 4 weeks were really jam packed tight.

Toiletries are a lot dearer here and would have packed more in the container had I known! Our container is in Adelaide now, and fingers crossed will be delivered next week......can't wait to see ou stuff again, willbe much more homely then.

This 1st month has been a real rollercoaster, some real low moments , but some great ones too.

Kids now in school and for the most part settled at school.

I have started work and am enjoying it!

Must say Mark has done a FAB job taking on the household stuff and ensuring we all get to where we should be on time, including soccer clubs for boys!!!!

Am sooooo glad I packed electric blankets in our cases, as its got cold here now and the houses are't what we are used to in the UK! no central heating! Also packed hot water bottles and they too are a God send.

Whatever you do DON'T get rid of your coats or winter stuff.....you'll need them.

.......and CRAM your container full of what makes home home, even if its old, bring it!!!!

Good luck!:)

• 3 months later...
Guest cdchats

hi everyone ,we are moving the family to the southern suburbs of adelaide in early december and are also in the same frantic state as everybody else with removals,flights,endless paperwork,goodbyes with family and friends etc etc.many tears and emotions as all of you who are already there will know only too well!although we have all travelled around oz in the past few years and loved it ,actually now the time has come seeing this through is tough.could we please ask whether any of you out there particularly those living between christies and aldinga beach know of any reasonably priced fully furnished accomodation for a family of four to help us to cope for the first four to six weeks whilst we wait for our shipped goods to arrive from the uk?also any help with a long term house rental afterwards(looking at moana and aldinga).also senior schools for our two teenagers (seaford and willunga).most importantly would love to meet up and make new friends as soon as possible!any other valuable advice would be extremely welcomed.many thanks.hopefully we shall see some of you soon!