Need Advice about rental agent - plumbing issues

Guest Glindy

Guest Glindy

Am posting on here in the hope someone can advise me.

I have been renting a 3 bedroomed house for over 18 months now, and from day one we have had plumbing issues with the toilet blocking up, basically when I flush it the water comes to the top and stays there until a plumber comes out, this has happened 25 times this year alone, and I ring the agent and they send a plumber out later that day, and it fixes it for approximately two weeks. The plumber has done a report on it and has found out that pipes underneath the ground are mis-aligned in several places, however the real estate agent said that the owner does not want to spend the money to fix it, however they will pay for the plumber to come out whenever it is needed.

I am at the end of my tether with it all now as we only have one toilet and it has been blocked the whole weekend. I have rang the rent tribunals and they basically said it wouldn't be worth pursuing this with them, I even rang the council who came out and looked at it, and didn't know what to do to be honest.

I am just wondering if it is worth my while in getting a solicitor of my own, as this is unacceptable. My daughter who is 4 is frightened of even sitting on the toilet now, she thinks the water is always going to come to the top. I am constantly put out for the day waiting in on the plumber to come, even he told me it is the worst situation he has ever come across. And then when the plumber does come, the smell in the house is woeful for a whole day.

Sorry for the huge moan, am sick to the teeth of this, and before you say move on, well that is another story in itself, getting a rental in Adelaide is a bloody nightmare.

Just wanted advice on what you reckon I should do now? Thanks

That sounds awful, you'd think the owner would want to get it fixed once and for all. It doesn't sound like the tenancy branch has said it's hopeless just time consuming. Ask the tenancy branch what it would take to get it fixed, especially if it is causing that much grief to your little one. I don't think I could cope with that situation for long. If they give you some advice and you feel you prefer to spend the energy on getting them to fix it rather than looking for another place then that looks like it is the only options you have. At least you don't have to move out quickly if you decide to find another place. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

How awful for you. Yes I agree that you need to take this further with the tenancy Tribunal. You would easily get out of your lease but I am sure that is of little consolation. Make sure all your correspondence with the agent is in writing too by email or letter. I have leant that often nothing gets done unless it is put in writing. What about putting in writing that you are giving them 14 days notice to rectify the problem or otehrwise you will exercise your right as a teannt to get it repaired yourself and will cease paying rent until you have been reimbursed the cost. (Look at the tenancy information brochure which gives tenants the right to do this if a repair is not carried out after being requested). This is probably risky but the onus would be on them to take you to the tribunal.