PR and First Home Buyers Grant

ShaunWilson

Hi,

Benn a while since i posted last, but thought i it may help some people in similar situation as ours.

We were on 457 visa when we decided to build our house, we signed contract in Jan 2009 when first home grant for building was still 25K. We were told we could not get this grant as we were not PR.

House was finished and we moved in on 1st Dec 2009. It was around this time that my employer stated they would sponsor us for PR. We went through the whole process of getting all the info and docs completed which took a while as some of the docs were over 2 years old, and we had to send back to UK for them.

29th July we were informed that we had been granted PR status, which was a massive boost, and for those on 457 or any temp visa, will know how daunting it is until you know they cant chuck you out of the country anymore.

Anyway, after this, we went back to Revenue SA and asked if there was anything we were now entitled too, explained the whole situation to be told that as we had become PR within 12 months of THE FINAL COMPLETION date of our house build, we may be able to claim our first home buyers grant. Went and got the forms, completed everything and submitted it to Revenue SA on the Friday. Was doing online banking the following Wednesday and there in our bank account was the 25K builders grant.

Just wanted to let anyone in the same situation know that the first home buyers/bukders grant is still available to you if you become PR within 12 months of the contract date for established house or from the final date of completion.

Guest guest3462

Congratulations!! Great news on the home owners grant and brilliant news on your PR!!! It always makes me smile and feel a bit happier when I find out someone else has been granted their PR, there is hope for us all.........

We have just had our first anniversary in our house so we will miss out on the home owners grant (no surprises there with our track record!!) but if they get a move on with our PR, we might just squeeze the baby bonus out of them!! lol

Wishing you all the best

Julia x

Congratulations!! Great news on the home owners grant and brilliant news on your PR!!! It always makes me smile and feel a bit happier when I find out someone else has been granted their PR, there is hope for us all.........

We have just had our first anniversary in our house so we will miss out on the home owners grant (no surprises there with our track record!!) but if they get a move on with our PR, we might just squeeze the baby bonus out of them!! lol

Wishing you all the best

Julia x

I have been reading your dramas with your PR, and so hope all goes well for you!!! On the baby bonus front, my wife said "does that mean we would qualify for it now too" as we were 457 when our baby was born. I replied only if we had another, and she said well......?

Hell no, aint worht it, got 3 already!!!! lol

Good luck with everything, and will keep fingers crossed for you.