Visa In Old Passport

Guest kellyp

Can anyone help? Citizenship will not be through in time to get Australian passports for our visit to the UK next year so need to renew three of our UK passports for the holiday. The forms are filled in and I am going to the post office to get them checked. I notice on the forms you are required to surrender your previous passport, what happens with your visa in the old one, do I need to get a copy put in the new passports or will I be able to keep the old ones if I explain? Any advice greatly appreciated.

You get your old passport back, with the corner chopped off.

Once you get the new passport, you need to inform DIAC of your new passport number, they should be able to just put an e-visa on your new ones, otherwise you'll need to pop into your local DIAC office for labels.

This way you don't need to worry about carry your old passports with you, and there won't be any issues with online check-in (the airline websites check that the passport has a visa in it using the electronic system, so if your visa is on a different passport number to the one that you're travelling on, you won't be able to check in online)

Guest guest3462

We just had the same issue, we took the new and old passsports into DIAC and they put a new label in, took 5 mins! We also took the old passport with us - just in case! lol.