Aphra

Karenbfam

I cannot believe it! I have my 175 visa which was granted in Feb 2009 and activated in Oct 2009. I have my assessment certificate from what was NBSA which expires in May of this year and have just emailed APHRA to see if I could register ready for my arrival in December of this year. They have just advised me that this now has to be done in person before May, which I obviously cant do, otherwise I will have to start the whole process again!! I have just had a quick look at the form and it looks like I will be starting from scratch again, including having to sit my ielts again as I did that in Sept 2007!!

Can any of you good people tell me that I am wrong!! as the thought of going through all this again fills me with dread!

Thank you

Karen

Hi, AHPRA appear to be in a constant state of confusion and depending on who you talk to you will get different answers.

I wont bore you with the details other than telling you I applied in march 2010 and was not registered until Jan 2011. I spoke to everyone and their granny at AHPRA but eventually spoke to a woman called Jan Legedza (registration officer based at King William Street in Adeliade) and she was soooo helpful. I suggest you email her direct at jan.legedza@ahpra.gov.au. or phone 08 7071 5515 and ask her to clarify or advise.

Hope this helps.

Thank you sailorrae for your reply. I have received a reply from my latest email that I sent and this is what they said:

If your 2 year timeframe expires you will be required to apply again from scratch.

Complete the same Application for General Nursing (graduated or trained overseas) form AGOS-04 and submit with all certified documents as required including nursing qualifications, evidence of secondary education taught & assessed in English and Certificate of Registration Status from the authorities in the countries where you’ve been working for the last 5 years (these documents must be sent to AHPRA from the authority direct).

The initial application assessment fee is $220 and can take up to 6 months to process. If your overseas qualifications are approved you will receive an approval letter which is valid for 12 months in which time you must present to the Adelaide AHPRA office to present your passport and overseas criminal history clearance certificate. An application and registration fee will apply. Currently this is $115 + $115 = $230 however these fees will be subject .

To say I am gutted is an understatement. I have read the forms and am I right that I have got to sit ielts again. With all the fees from NMC, certifying docs, ielts, application fees, I almost feel it would be cheaper to get a flight before May!!

Thanks

Karen

Guest nicandchris

Ive just sent my nursing registration off a few weeks ago and i had to prove the secondary education was in english and a copy of my ielts exam pass. So it is probable that you would need to pass it again. nightmare and i hope that you can gather the certs together again. I feel so sorry for you having to do this again what a real shame. x

Karen, it's such a frustration process. The process has changed slightly since I did it I think? My documents were all sent direct6 from NMC and university to Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMC). Therefore I only had to request them to send the docs onto AHPRA (tho this is where they lost my file etc!) I had to pay AHPRA $230 to process my application. I would still contact Jan (don't tell her i gave you details tho!) and tell her everything you have done so far and your timescales and ask her advice as she is based in Adelaide. Good luck. x

Guest fluxsta

from my new thread:

My family have literally just landed from the most awesome recce ever and meet some amazing people from this forum. I will post a longer recce summary once jetlag has gone and we have had some sleep ;-)

I just wanted to say that I had taken much advice about this dreaded IELTS exam that AHPRA 'apparently' need. I sat the exam, passed, and last week went to the Adelaide office of AHPRA to submit my completed AGOS-04 nursing application in person. Staff told me categorically that

I DID NOT NEED TO DO THE IELTS EXAM IF MY SECONDARY EDUCATION WAS IN ENGLISH!!

I showed copies of my secondary education and nursing papers to prove that my education was in English. So, please save the money and the bother (I was freaking out about sitting the IELTS!)..........and don't sit the IELTS!!

In saying that it may come in handy for PR, not sure.....maybe forum users can guide me on this.....