Guest tinkham_lee

passport name change

Guest tinkham_lee

My partner and I have just got married,

How do we go about changing her name on her British passport whilst in Australia and how do we inform immigration about the change of name and new passport etc.

Cheers

Lee

It is a few years since I did this, but I sent my marriage certificate and passport to the British High Commission in Canberra. There is probably a fee for it now, so you may have to contact them first.

The marriage certificate you send must be the "official" one from BDM if you were married in SA.

Guest tinkham_lee
    It is a few years since I did this, but I sent my marriage certificate and passport to the British High Commission in Canberra. There is probably a fee for it now, so you may have to contact them first.

The marriage certificate you send must be the "official" one from BDM if you were married in SA.

We returned to England to get married, so have an English marriage certificate and don't have one from BDM, we have to apply for a name change certificate from BDM to be able to change her driving licence. I will probably give the high commission a ring as the is nothing about it on their website.

Can you send a certified copy or does it have to be the original?

How long until the passport expires? The BHC in Canberra no longer issues passports anyway, they are all issued from the BHC in Wellington NZ. You also have to pay to ring them! ....less if you want to hear recorded info. You basically just fill out a new passport form to change the name. Your British marriage cert will suffice as evidence of marriage. You photocopy all your docs and take them and the originals with the dosh and the form to an Australia Post Office ( not a small agency one) and they will check the forms, countersign the copies and get them to NZ for you.

Name changes in a passport