2scoops

superannuation

Hey,

I've got a job offer with a base salary and a 13% "superannuation". I've never heard of this before, what is it? and is there any chance I won't get it?

cheers,

2scoops

Superannuation or 'super' as it's often refered to is the Australian equivalent to a UK pension.

The standard rate is 9%. Never come across 13% before.

I'm sure someone from the 'other side' will have more info on that rate.

ok so its how much will be taken off my pay, it seems a lot for pension though. Being in my twenties, i'm not too clued up on pensions!

Guest soggy
    ok so its how much will be taken off my pay, it seems a lot for pension though. Being in my twenties, i'm not too clued up on pensions!

Im think its in addition to your pay, somone may know better though.

Simon

The 9% should be in addition to your pay (legally, your employer has to input this amount), and you should have the option to add to it as you wish, from your salary, up to a certain %.

Guest Rob and Clare

Some of the better companies in Automotive and defence often pay over the 9% base rate for super, and all you need to get it is choose from your employers super annuation scheme (pension) or choose your own.

As everyone has said, legally they have to pay it and it's always on top of your basic salary. Some companies sometimes lump your Salary, Leave Loading and Super all in one to make it look more attractive, but that doesn't sound like the case this time.

'No Dramas'....

Rob

Guest smit

I would say most jobs are offered as a total package. This means you would have to take the super off to get your gross wages.

Guest thebaddeleys

i pressume you don't get supernation when your on a temp 457 visa?:skeptical:

Guest Nick11
    i pressume you don't get supernation when your on a temp 457 visa?:skeptical:

Believe you do.

My employer puts in 9% of my wages into a superan fund and I'm on a temp visa.

You can also put extra in yourself through salary sacrifice etc.

Lots of different superan funds , which offer their members life cover, critical illness etc.

Guest Bex & Nick

yeh, you get super if you work, even when on a working holiday visa