Medical/Dental records from th UK

Guest titanboy

Guest titanboy

Hi

Does anyone have experience of what medical/dental records you are required to bring over from the UK. Dentist here reluctant to give us ours, will we need them?

Have also requested our medical records from our GP and been advised that it may be costly to get them all recalled and copied. Was just wondering if we'll need them to register with Medicare?

Thanks in advance

I asked my dentist for handover files, but they said they don't do this. I haven't asked GP yet, but would imagine that due to data protection and confidentiality, they may not oblige with any medical records either. Might be wrong!?

You don't need dental as they can build up a record fine when you go for your check up. They don't transfer them within the UK as a rule anyways.

Medical - My understanding is that so long as you know your medical history (and there is nothing major going on with it) then you don't need to worry about medical records. Again, you can fill them in on the stuff that they need to know. You can get a sort of short breakdown done for a lot less of the big things, you'd have to ask the medical practice about this though. I recall reading on here someone had that sort of thing done for about £20.

I know when I've lived overseas I've never worried about medical records. You fill in all the paperwork when you register anyways and give a detailed medical history in all that.

Guest Murphy642

Hi

The same here with the dentist, they did not give records.

However we got a print out of all our records from the doctors, 2 Adults and 2 Children cost of 30GBP which we handed into the Doctors here in Oz. They will input into the computer which is quite useful as they wanted to give my kids the chickenpox jab and didnt do it as it was on their records. If you can get it I would bring it over as it is useful.

Defintely bring over your red books if you have any kids and they need this for vaccinations and any childcare places need to have a look at it.

Hope this helps

It's been said I think.

If you do not have a complicated history you dint need any notes.

The dentist will not even look at them, and will always find something to do. The standard of dentistry here is a lot bette than the UK

The doctor will in time get your portfolio if you keep going

Save thrash it will cost to get them and bring chocolat.

Guest titanboy
Hi

The same here with the dentist, they did not give records.

However we got a print out of all our records from the doctors, 2 Adults and 2 Children cost of 30GBP which we handed into the Doctors here in Oz. They will input into the computer which is quite useful as they wanted to give my kids the chickenpox jab and didnt do it as it was on their records. If you can get it I would bring it over as it is useful.

Defintely bring over your red books if you have any kids and they need this for vaccinations and any childcare places need to have a look at it.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply. Have now got our records from GP - just a few pages summarising our medical history/medications taken etc. Got my daughter's immunisation record printed off and will take her red book. Only problem is that she had chickenpox while we were on holiday so it's not on her records. Although we do have plenty holiday pics of her covered in spots, will take them!

Guest tilly

i was just about to post something about this and then saw this thread! i plan on having another child once i'm in aus, already have 3, would i need to get a copy of my maternity notes from the hospital to take with us? i had a few problems (especially in my last pregnancy, high blood pressure and the like) or would i just have to tell them all the details?

i was just about to post something about this and then saw this thread! i plan on having another child once i'm in aus, already have 3, would i need to get a copy of my maternity notes from the hospital to take with us? i had a few problems (especially in my last pregnancy, high blood pressure and the like) or would i just have to tell them all the details?

Hi,

I think itd just be a case of giving them the details when you are here.

We didnt bring any dental/medical stuff with us - just had our childrens red books sent on in the shipping. Been to the docs for prescriptions and have them history verbally which they were fine with. They didnt ask for any actual records in writing so should be fine.

Hi

Does anyone have experience of what medical/dental records you are required to bring over from the UK. Dentist here reluctant to give us ours, will we need them?

Have also requested our medical records from our GP and been advised that it may be costly to get them all recalled and copied. Was just wondering if we'll need them to register with Medicare?

Thanks in advance

My dentist said my new dentist in Oz can email her for info if needed (they're all computerised now and no longer have those bulging brown folders)

Our doctor gave me a (free) brief printout for the Visa medicals showing previous operations/significant treatments and immunisation record together with the results from my last 'review' (I have mild hypertension which is managed well with medication) as I was concerned there might be a referal.

Guest WhatNow?
Hi

Thanks in advance

No you don't need them to register with Medicare and most doctors won't expect you to have them as you don't 'register' with a single surgery here as you do in the UK. I offered mine to my local surgery (they had cost £20 for photocopies) and the receptionist and doctor looked at me as if I was mad! they said 'Oh well if you've gone to that trouble I suppose we had better have them'!