Pregnant on 475 visa!

Guest Diana

Guest Diana

We arrived on 475 visa in 2009,this year appyling for PR.Baby is due next year.

Went to see a GP(on a privite health insurance) she is a Sheared Care GP.For visit I paid...117.30.

Lady on reseption asked me about medicare...I sad don't have it,I have a healt insurance ....ok you have to pay today 97.00 dollars.then she asked will I get 100% back ...I sad no!only some, she sad waite a second ....sorry....for today 117.30 dollars.

I paid that money.From insurance I got 80.25 back.

My GP want to see me every 2 weeks.I don't know how often usualy GP have to see a pregnant women if it's only 7 weeks and pregnancy is ok.

Should I change a GP or AM I worring to much.

Is Ireland not part of the reciproical agreement? if so, you have medicare.

That sounds like a lot for a doctor visit, and I would say, fortnightly visits at this stage are not necessary, but it is 3 years since my last baby.

I would think about changing GP. If you choose you can go for antenatal care at the hospital which is most definately free. Also check - your doctor may start to bulk bill for a course of care like this?

Congrats on your pregnancy. Enjoy every moment

Guest Diana

Thank you.Yes Ireland Is!But i am not an Irish citizen(apart from my OH and first son).

I got first appointment to Filinders in August.Should I just ring them and ask to go and see a GP in Filinders?

Guest gypsy
We arrived on 475 visa in 2009,this year appyling for PR.Baby is due next year.

Went to see a GP(on a privite health insurance) she is a Sheared Care GP.For visit I paid...117.30.

Lady on reseption asked me about medicare...I sad don't have it,I have a healt insurance ....ok you have to pay today 97.00 dollars.then she asked will I get 100% back ...I sad no!only some, she sad waite a second ....sorry....for today 117.30 dollars.

I paid that money.From insurance I got 80.25 back.

My GP want to see me every 2 weeks.I don't know how often usualy GP have to see a pregnant women if it's only 7 weeks and pregnancy is ok.

Should I change a GP or AM I worring to much.

Hi

From the above, I could understand that you are on a visitor's insurance cover and this is normal.

Changing the GP won't help on the fee. They all got the standard rates to charge. I am not sure about the frequency of the visits the GP insists on. May be, you can verify with another GP of different surgery or clinic.

Not having the Medicare is a pain. By the way, when are you applying for the PR. You can get the medicare benefits from the day you apply for your PR (Date of appication submission).

Some of my friends on 475 had to send their wife back to home for delivery as the delivery costs are quite high(4-5 grands) in the absence of Medicare benefits