Baggage allowance when using different carriers

Cherrypecker

Hi all,

We will soon be joining those of you who have made the long stressful journey. Still have a million unknowns, worries and questions. Here is just one of them.

We are leaving the UK on the 18th August, flying with Emirates to Dubai, then on to Melbourne with the same carrier. We have a 30kg baggage allowance. However, we then fly on to Adelaide with Quantas, and their tickets say that we have only 23kg baggage allowance. Is this going to be a problem, or is it ok as we are only a transfer to them from Emirates? (we booked this all through the Emirates website).

Regards

Paul & Sarah

Guest loopylisa

No peice of luggage is allowed to be over 32kg with any carrier so you would be well within that. I would ring Qantas if I was you and explain the situation. I did this with singapore air and they increased my allowance by 5kg as 'goodwill'- so its worth a shot!!!

Guest loopylisa

P.s as you will be flying from international to domestic you will have to take your luggage off at melbourne and recheckin I would imagine. I had to do this with Qantas when I flew heathrow-HK-Melb-Adelaide so I would think you would need to do it across different carrier. I would def urge a phonecall to Qantas!

Guest leemina

Hi

See you're flying the day before us, exciting isnt it?? Did your OH manage to get Ahpra registered then? Tell her to check out the Adelaide pommie princesses on facebook, a way of making pals. x

I doubt you'd be able to take the 30kg on Qantas. Its not a code share and they don't recognise another airlines weight limit iirc. You'd get stung for the excess I'd imagine. Unless you can get it in writing (via email will do) you are ok for 30kg on a Qantas flight and print it off to carry with you so you can argue your case in Melbourne. Also as has been pointed out, its not even a case of your baggage going on, it'll be collected as its international into domestic. So you need to check in again etc.

In my experience Qantas are one of the most strict and unhelpful in terms of allowing excess baggage without charge or anything.

FWIW, flying with a non code sharing airline to Adelaide for a larger weight limit isn't always the saving you might think in terms of luggage. For those only going to Melbourne or Sydney, on the direct route and not then transferring for a domestic its fine as the 30kg is never in question. As soon as you go for a domestic connection the baggage limit of the airline you are then flying with usually applies. I'd always fly Singapore airlines as they do fly to Adelaide (via Singpore) or BA and Qantas who code share (so you'll often do one leg BA, one Qantas).

BTW Cherrypecker, the bosses (site owners) have a new thing brought in for sigs, just in case you'd missed it. Just I noticed your sig is rather long, 15 lines or so of timeline, so would you mind to shorten it down please :) The colour is fine, just we are being asked to lose the amount of lines down to 2. Fankoo in advance.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/25683-signature-changes.html

One thing I might add if I can is make sure you get an email or the info you get in writing.

We had code share on our flights when we came over and the checkin agent did not believe us that we had 40kg limit on all three flights.

The first problem was BMI Manchester to Heathrow.

Just a word of warning! not telling you what to do.

Rob and Mel