Bet Ricky wouldn't have been as sporting!

Diane

It was a bizzare thing. I think the Indian team looked at the footage of their man on the boundry just sitting there, looking like he had given up on it. Even I thought his lack of continuing playing made it look like he thought it had hit the boundry (he himself probably didn't know as he went over it but the ball on replay hadn't nor had he been touching the ball at the time). I don't think anyone quite knew but as the umpires hadn't called a 4 both Bell and the guy on the boundry should have kept on playing so to speak. Bell was daft and he'll never do anything like that again (nor will anyone else in either of those teams I am sure :biggrin: )

I think it was a good call and not only because I am cheering for England. I'd like to think Strauss would have done the same and allowed someone to play on, even if that persons innings was killing our chances of winning the game. Cricket talks about itself being a gentleman's game, it wants to remain a gentleman's game, it needs to continue to have these kinds of things done.

It was a bizzare thing. I think the Indian team looked at the footage of their man on the boundry just sitting there, looking like he had given up on it. Even I thought his lack of continuing playing made it look like he thought it had hit the boundry (he himself probably didn't know as he went over it but the ball on replay hadn't nor had he been touching the ball at the time). I don't think anyone quite knew but as the umpires hadn't called a 4 both Bell and the guy on the boundry should have kept on playing so to speak. Bell was daft and he'll never do anything like that again (nor will anyone else in either of those teams I am sure :biggrin: )

I think it was a good call and not only because I am cheering for England. I'd like to think Strauss would have done the same and allowed someone to play on, even if that persons innings was killing our chances of winning the game. Cricket talks about itself being a gentleman's game, it wants to remain a gentleman's game, it needs to continue to have these kinds of things done.

I think I read that India had been on the receiving end of a similar situation where the other team weren't as magnanimous, so they acted asd they did this time (withdrawing the appeal for a run out) in order to show what should be done, and the Trent Bridge crowd showed their appreciation for their sportsmanshpi by giving Dhoni a standing ovation. Seems to be a match played in a very friendly way, with opponents congratulating their opposing number's run scores etc. Hope other teams (ahem, Ricky Ponting, ahem) take note!

As you say, Bell was a wally!!