How long searching for renting a house

Rabeah

Guest nic-manchester

Second that post excellent, think i'm gonna print it off and start making some notes of my own!! with only 8 weeks to go til we set off it will be here in no time! Though didn't realise how complecated it could be, suppose after being in your home for 10 years you don't really think abou it often trying to find the best place to suit your family etc.

Great tips thankyou :-))

It took us about 3 months to find somewhere decent and I was getting a bit panicky as our short term rental was finishing and the prospect of us and our kids camping on the beach until we found something was a little worrying! The main problem I found was the state of many of the rentals within our price range - dirty, smelly, tatty - I joked that many looked like someone had just died in them and they had just put them on the market! I later found out that this is often the case as often inherited properties are rented out while the owners make enough money to knock it down and rebuild a new home. Don't be fooled by the photos on realestate web some of them look fantastic and they are a real dump when you get there. We also had problems when we did find somewhere and submitted our forms due to us having no rental history (well obviously as we'd just got here!). The ones that were good got snapped up staright away by people offering over the asking price. All in all not a good experience, we got lucky in the end by bumping into the owner outside our house and doing the deal direct with him rather than going via the agency and it has worked out very well as we have not had to have the inspections and have built up a good relationship with him as apposed to a company - I would recommend this from our experience.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
...we got lucky in the end by bumping into the owner outside our house and doing the deal direct with him rather than going via the agency and it has worked out very well as we have not had to have the inspections and have built up a good relationship with him as apposed to a company - I would recommend this from our experience.

Did you sign a tenancy agreement?

Thanks to Ryan T Lyon for his excellent and informative post, it is really helpful. Think i'll pop it in may favourites so I can refer in a few weeks time. Also, what do you think of Seacliffe and the surrounding suburbs now your living there? We have been looking around that area but can't find out too much about the high schools in that zone apart from Seaview High. With teenagers to consider schools, public transport and things to do are really important so any info would be great (if you've got time to answer that is!!!). Sounds like you have really settled in quickly. Good luck with your new life x