Activating our visa question

kev'liz

Hi all!

With regards to the visa 176, have I got it right that you have 12 months from the date of issue to enter Australia to activate the visa? Also we are a family of 5, myself and my husband and three children, to activate the visa do we all have to travel into oz. I only ask as myself and my husband want to travel alone to have the time to check out the area without hawling the whole family out.

:smile:

Hi, you have twelve months from your police checks or medicals, whichever you have done first. Also you all need to enter Australia within the year. From my view this was good as we all experienced Australia and the kids loved it, however on returning the realisation of leaving close friends and family behind changed my wifes views so unless things change by Aug 2016 it's game over for us. I must admit I felt the same but oz has grown on me since returning end of Feb and that is primarily because we were with the kids and experienced their reaction to the things Adelaide had to offer, particularly the look on my 7 year olds face when he saw the PE lessons on the beach at Port Noarlunga, which incidentally was my favourite place.

Would definitely recommend a reccie if finances allow.

Edited by Kjc

Guest Django
Hi, once you have your visa slip in passports, if you read the centre it says 'initial entry by' and states the date you must activate visa by.

You can either send your passports off to Oz House in London (Registered post) along with your visa details and wait until they send them back or go down there yourself and wait while they do it.

As per validating everyone needs to arrive in Oz before the 12 months are up. Also the extra baggage allowance you get when you immigrate is only valid on your validating trip. So if you go on a reckie and then make the final move at a later date you won't be entitled to bring any extra lugguge.

You have twelve months from your police checks or medicals, whichever you have done first.

You get an Electronic Visa once granted but can opt for a paper version in your Passport too (send to London by registered post and include a pre-paid registered envelope for them to return it).

Hi, sorry for butting in on this thread but my query is similar.

Am I right in thinking that I have a year to activate (trip booked in August for 3 weeks) and then I have 5 years to move out there? My friend emigrated about 12 years ago (not sure on what visa) and he had to do 2 years within 5 to maintain his status. Does this apply to 176?