Shipping

Guest dondon75

Guest dondon75

Do shipping companies consider weight of items or do you just pay for the space of a container? Did anyone consider sending items thru post or companies re boxes not a shipment? Cost and reliability?

Guest Jennet
Do shipping companies consider weight of items or do you just pay for the space of a container? Did anyone consider sending items thru post or companies re boxes not a shipment? Cost and reliability?

shipping companies don't charge on weight its per container, box, shared container, you can put things in draws, cool box etc and no extra charge my stuff gets shipped on the 19th may

Guest Jennet
Does that mean that you are in oz or leaving soon?

How did you decide what company to go with? How much do they charge?

Hi I leave UK on the 3rd July, my stuff being shipped on the 19th May as i will be in OZ when it arrives on the 9th July, you have to be in the country before the stuff arrives, I had a few quotes from a few companies John Mason has a good reputation and they were the best and cheapest quote, i have found them really good very prompt to e mails, advice and the guys who packed were excellent and really friendly.

Guest Jennet
Thanks for info on shipping, I am going to be cheeky and ask how much are there charging for what amount of space?

hi

it does depend on what individuals take, i've paid £1000 which includes double bed, 2 chester draws, computer, 13 boxes full of stuff like clothes kids toys books photographs, bedding etc, fishing gear. plastering tools, dog cage, bike helmets etc i was quite impressed. however didn't get insurance with them wanted 3% plus VAT so went with an independent company 1.5%

Hi,

Some people bring entire containers and other just personal effects.

Recent guests that have stayed with me have used a comapny called Seven Seas. They decided just to bring personal effects and brought just a few boxes with them. There was a weight limit of 40kg for each box and the time for the boxes to get here was around 80 days by sea. I think that the second box was either half price (or even free) but I guess it might depend on promotions that they are running at the time.

They were very happy with the service.

Their web address is: http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/

It's possible to get an online quote from them as well.

Tamara

shipping companies don't charge on weight its per container, box, shared container, you can put things in draws, cool box etc and no extra charge my stuff gets shipped on the 19th may

You see, this is where I am confused. We were advised by most of the shippers we got to do quotes that you COULD NOT put anything in drawers or wardrobes, bar the odd cushion, as everything has to be packed and put down on the itinery for customs purposes. So if you are going to stuff a chest of drawers with, say, CDs and nik naks then you would have to ensure the itinery says just that. Apparently customs don't approve, will assume you are trying to hide something, will spend longer checking and looking through your belongings, and potentially find something they may not have found.

But this could also be why when our 20 foot container turned up not everything would fit in!!! It departed to the port and the rest of our belongings were taken in the shippers van (most never to be seen again).

Similar to Rob and Mel we also had several boxes arrive this end with barely a thing in them (one had 1 lonely tv cable) except packing paper. The shippers this end were fab, just to say. We took photographs and provided a very detailed claim on the insurance eventually as shippers didnt want to know.

All sorted now but at the time hugely traumatic especially as we left shipping all our worldly possessions until the day before we emigrated.

Edited by Kingpin

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
You see, this is where I am confused. We were advised by most of the shippers we got to do quotes that you COULD NOT put anything in drawers or wardrobes, bar the odd cushion, as everything has to be packed and put down on the itinery for customs purposes. So if you are going to stuff a chest of drawers with, say, CDs and nik naks then you would have to ensure the itinery says just that. Apparently customs don't approve, will assume you are trying to hide something, will spend longer checking and looking through your belongings, and potentially find something they may not have found.But this could also be why when our 20 foot container turned up not everything would fit in!!! It departed to the port and the rest of our belongings were taken in the shippers van (most never to be seen again).Similar to Rob and Mel we also had several boxes arrive this end with barely a thing in them (one had 1 lonely tv cable) except packing paper. The shippers this end were fab, just to say. We took photographs and provided a very detailed claim on the insurance eventually as shippers didnt want to know. All sorted now but at the time hugely traumatic especially as we left shipping all our worldly possessions until the day before we emigrated.
We only had 1 who said we couldn't fill drawers. All the rest said that was fine as long as it wasn't heavy stuff so that they were still able to lift them. I filled ours with bedding, pillows etc, left clothes in some and the drawers in the kids desks i filled with all their drawings and stuff from school. I will say our whole inventory was vague (way more than i would have done it - there was nothing listed in the drawers) but we had no issues with customs.

Guest dondon75
We only had 1 who said we couldn't fill drawers. All the rest said that was fine as long as it wasn't heavy stuff so that they were still able to lift them. I filled ours with bedding, pillows etc, left clothes in some and the drawers in the kids desks i filled with all their drawings and stuff from school. I will say our whole inventory was vague (way more than i would have done it - there was nothing listed in the drawers) but we had no issues with customs.

What shipping company did you use and how long did it take to get your stuff?

Guest vikkiann

We have used Doree Bonner, paid £3840 for shipping plus about £500 for insurance.

We've 3/4 filled a 20ft container. They weren't the cheapest but their customer service has been fab so far

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of organising shipping now as we move out in Jan 2013. What are your thoughts on bringing a car over to Oz?

I have a 55 reg golf which has only done 30,000 miles. I've looked after it and as far as I can see from my research it might be in my favour to bring it due to the cost of cars in Oz. I'm thinking i'll save in the long run compared to selling it and then buying again when out there. Has anybody got any experience of shipping their car/s? What are the additional costs once over in Oz - re-pating it?

Thanks Karen

Guest Paula H
We have used Doree Bonner, paid £3840 for shipping plus about £500 for insurance.

We've 3/4 filled a 20ft container. They weren't the cheapest but their customer service has been fab so far

We have just signed up to use Doree Bonner, have found them to be great so far... They are coming round on the 11th July :)

Guest Paula H
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of organising shipping now as we move out in Jan 2013. What are your thoughts on bringing a car over to Oz?

I have a 55 reg golf which has only done 30,000 miles. I've looked after it and as far as I can see from my research it might be in my favour to bring it due to the cost of cars in Oz. I'm thinking i'll save in the long run compared to selling it and then buying again when out there. Has anybody got any experience of shipping their car/s? What are the additional costs once over in Oz - re-pating it?

Thanks Karen

We have a Renault scenic 06 plate, has done 23k miles, looked into shipping it out and tbh it sounds like more hassle than its worth... I'm sure there will be some specific posts to this on here if you search xx