TV and DVD player

Guest Dr Scotland

Aus DVDs aren't the same region but most players can be unlocked easily enough (and new region-free players are really cheap should yours be one that can't be unlocked). The in-built tuner in some TVs will pick up the frequency but others will need a set-top box (again, cheap enough). I'd bring.

Jim

Even if your TV / DVd were expensive they will have almost zero second hand value so best to bring it over. Above posting is correct. My digital TV (maybe 5 years old) can pick up Aus version of Freeview but only around three quarters of the channels. I had to set the region frequency to Germany to make it work! DVD's can be unlocked and likewise if its a digital TV recorder / DVD player. If it can't be unlocked you can obviously only play UK DVD's but you may be able to still get Aus digital TV (if set to Germany as mentioned). If you have to buy a digibox to get Aus digital TV you will not be able to record those programs on your UK unlocked DVD recorder.

Something that doesn't get mentioned is that newer computer printers are also region specific like DVDs. Not an issue until you need new toners or cartridges which are not available over here - nor can you get your empty UK ones refilled. If you sell anything before you come, sell the printers as they are so cheap to get replaced it will save loads of hassle.

Bring everything that you can fit into your container. We gave away a lot of stuff before we came over, but your taste doesn't change and you end up buying similar type gear .... I know this comment is a bit off the beaten track but thought I would add it in, since you are looking at what to bring and not to as far as electronics are concerned.

You can haemorrhage cash when you first arrive buying new things, but bring it all and replace when you feel you have to.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

We brought two flat screen tvs over with us. The Samsung set to Germany picks up the Aus freeview, the Panasonic doesn't but we have that connected to a box and works fine.

We also brought our HP printer over. I bought new ink cartridges last week - different number to the UK but the guy in the shop double checked that they were the Aus equivalent. Stuck them in the printer and got the "incompatible ink cartridges installed." I spent 20 minute on the phone to HP here in Aus and they talked me through how to re-regionalise the printer - printer now works perfectly with the new cartridges.

Guest Dr Scotland

Great, thanks. Still in the great debate of, overall, what we should bring v. what we should sell here. Leaning more towards bringing as much as possible....

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Mrs Bon Jovi did you throw out your old uk printer cartridges?

We threw them out before we left the uk, the printer came over empty.

We brought two flat screen tvs over with us. The Samsung set to Germany picks up the Aus freeview, the Panasonic doesn't but we have that connected to a box and works fine.

We brought a flat screen Samsung over as well but can't get it to pick up Freeview regardless of what we try (setting it to Germany being the first thing we tried ...) Always annoys me that we can't get it to work (without a set-top box) but others manage it with theirs! :sad:

Jim