Seacliffe High School

R & H

Hi there - can anyone give me an honest opinion on Seacliffe High School. We might have to rent in their zone and don't know anything about their reputation for education or standards of behaviour. Would appreciate any comments. Have a 14 yr old.

Thanks

H

There isn't a high school in seacliff as far as I'm aware, only primary. The local state high school is Seaview High, which personally, I'd avoid with a barge pole having heard what I have about it. The next nearest is Brighton (but you need to be in the zone) or Hallett Cove I'd guess but that is also to be zoned soon.

I second that, although schools can change over time, Seaview has never impressed me on any account. Although some people will say it's ok I'm sure. Do your research. Most schools publish their newsletters on their website and these can give you a better feel about a school than the blurb they put up on the website. To me alarm bells ring when the front page Principal's Message on every newsletter for about a year, instead of congratulating the student's and school's achievements or discussing visions and directions for the school were about reminding girls that short shorts were not appropriate for school and that students and Staff must be punctual and attend scheduled lessons...... Choosing a school when you don't know the area or the school system is difficult. Schools that look great can turn out to be disasters and vice versa. The best thing to do is to do as much research with all the info online e.g. the school website, myschool website ( but look at the data over the past few years to see trends) and the context statement which gives a background to the school community and whether teachers get brownie points for working there. Then shortlist the ones which you feel you like and then visit them when you get here. Go with your gut feeling after you've visited, it will usually be the right choice. Seeing as you will be renting , you can choose to live anywhere in any school zone, unike when you buy you are often limited to the areas in which you can afford to buy.

Thanks very much - I'll certainly do more research - I thought there was a High School in Seacliffe when it showed up on a map, but must have been an error. So thanks for the feedback - very helpful. I'd heard about Seaview High already and will avoid that one.

Every day a little closer and still so much to do! :wacko: This forum certainly helps though.