Spiders in SA

Guest ed999

If it eases anybodies mind, I've been here 5 years this month and have seen 3 redbacks (all under patio furniture when it's first been brought out of the shed at the start of nice weather), 3 huntsmen (1 outside my car when parked in a rural area, 1 squashed dead whilst walking in the Adelaide Hills in a rural area and 1 outside my house in Glenelg) and that's it. Nothing else scary! Oh, my cat once caught a teeny tiny lizard type thing - smaller than my little finger. I was terrified of spiders and my first few weeks here I checked under the toilet seat, inside my shoes, under the covers before getting into bed - now I don't give it a second thought.

It's those portugese centipedes that are the biggest pain in my opinion - getting fed up with having to scoop them up from inside the house all the time. We ended up spraying a barrier around the house the other week to help stop them and found a few dead cock roaches outside air vents as a result. Seems to have cut down the invaders enough for us.