School Holiday dates in Adelaide and getting into school

kadina

I am just looking into school for when we get over to Adelaide.

Its all a bit new to me having young kids when we first left Adelaide but now we are going back with school age kids.

What is the process with schools firstly do you just apply to the school or is it like here where you have to apply to the council and go on a list and be allocated a school?

Also from looking at the government term dates it appears they do not get half term holidays is that right ?? they seem to go 9 to 11 weeks in a term with no break, that seems quite hard to get my head around when they have a break every 6 weeks here in the UK, have I got that wrong? hope my kids can cope with that, any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Guest vikkiann

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought if you lived in an area, the allocated school have to accept you.

It's generally a 10 week term and then the kids get 2 weeks off which is quite nice, they get time to unwind properly.

Are they primary or high school age? Not all primaries have a fixed catchment area - although the most sought after ones are starting to. We just looked around several, asked if they had places in the relevant years, and when we'd picked one, filled out the paperwork at the school there and then. If high schools, most of them - maybe all - have catchment areas (although they may take from out of catchment) and most will ask for proof (a rental agreement or something) to show that you live, or will be living within that.

You are right - no half terms, but lots of public holidays off, and pupil free days to make up for it! I remember ours being absolutely shattered towards the ends of terms though, particularly the Christmas term!

Thanks Diane for the information they are primary school age both of them, I have heard about the pupil free days and I know they have a lot of public holidays ha ha so I guess it will be ok for them, yes I can imagine they would be knackered come the xmas one, but we are timing it just right we are coming in the summer holidays just not sure if they will be accepted mid term but I want them to have a break before they start anyway so they will start and then have a 2 week holidays anyway and then it will only be 10 weeks or so till the xmas holidays so not bad really to start them off

No half terms, nope. 4 terms over the year. Kids seem to cope with it. Don't forget you'll get a few days at Easter over the actual Easter weekend. I don't mind not having a half term tbh.

If the school is zoned, you have to live in the zone (many require proof of long lease) and they will accept you. Outside the zone, little to no chance. Schools that are not zoned you can apply to and they will take you if they have space etc.

We are moving in Oct and the school we have our eye on isn't zoned and is happy with everything so far.

Cannot actually enrol in most schools till you are resident over there.

Guest Bonnydoon7

Hi,

I think most government schools have set catchment areas and have to take children living within those boundaries but only take children out of them if they have excess places available. I think the process is just to find out your local schools and ring them directly. The website to check out a school's facts and figures is http://myschool.edu.au/

Independent or private schools, such as Catholic schools, take pupils from everywhere, and have a very good reputation. Fees vary but the Catholic system has very reasonable fees. Good luck with your decision-making.

All good advice in the replies so far. The first thing is to remember that the school year is from January to December unlike the British September to July. The South Australian school year is divided into four terms. As others have mentioned, there are no half-term breaks as such but there are lots of other smaller breaks.

In the primary years, your children have a priority place in the state school which serves the area in which you live. If you choose to enrol the children in a state school other than the one that serves the local zone, then they will be a lower priority than children who live in that school's zone. Independent and Catholic schools can choose who they take as students regardless of the place of residence.

State primary schools act as feeder schools for state high schools on much the same priority system, but the process is not absolutely inflexible. It is not uncommon for parents who 'know' Adelaide to take schools into account when choosing where to live.