What about OUR national identity?

Diane

Tyke's house?:biggrin:

Seriously, I like the fact that we don't seem to feel the need to announce our 'differentness' - we just assimilate. I guess that's easier to do without (many) language barriers, and having similar(ish) cultures.

One thing that celebrating the homeland culture annually, or even living it daily, seems to do is preserve traditions, sometimes to the extent of retaining things that the old country no longer has. Can't think of specifics right now, but I remember talking to a young Aussie guy of Italian parentage who went to Italy to meet grandparents and cousins, and was amazed at how different it was to expectations that were based on the Italian culture here. He felt that he had escaped from a time warp.

Now what British traditions (Eng/Scot/NI/Wales) that have died do we wish we had retained? I'll start with my favourite - respect for people, property and the law.

Good post Bill.I would like to see a return to common courtesy,both in Public and in Commerce.A return to common sense from our Politicians,instead of being shackled by politically correct nonsense.I also think the British should have a 'Winston Churchill Day' each year to commemorate his Leadership in our darkest hour.Of course the Aussies would beg to differ.Anyway,i am British and proud of it,and if we don't really have something to announce to the world how great our traditions are,then who cares!

Guest Claire-n-tel

All those festivals were started by someone, there is nothing to stop anyone starting an 'English' one. All of them would have started with the idea of one or two people who wanted it enough to get up and do it don't you think?