Centre link entitlement

anil bhardwaj

We got state sponsored PR visa 176 in 2010.I came alone seeing the job scenario and as kids school mid session.My family will join after a year.

I went to centre link and enquired for support for me and family till I get employment.I was told to dial toll free number which I was able to connect after 2 days of attempt.I was told in phone that I am not entitle for any benefits for 02 yrs.When I told if I bring family then whether I will be getting any support.For this I was told that if kids are more than 15 yrs of age then no support will be given.My request for help by job services Australia was also not heeded too.

Will any body answer to my following queries

1)Is there any source other than telephoning toll free numbers such as face to face or online chat to centre link for claiming of support benefit.

2) What is the age limits for kids to be eligible for child allowance.

3)Am I entitle for any support such as job Australia

HelloAnil

Thereis a printed booklet which is available from Centrelink, post offices(I think) and community centres and possibly a local library whichdetails all payments. It's called “A guide to Australian governmentpayments.” It may be available online, not sure.

Anywayit tells me that Newstart allowance is available to you after 104weeks.

Yourqualifications are recognised by govt but not by the market. I'm notsurprised. It's very difficult for non-locals to get decent work inAdelaide. Having said that I'm sure I'll get a few flames telling meI'm wrong. Doesn't matter that I volunteer in a community centrewhere I help new arrivals to Australia to negotiate the many hurdlesthat prevent them getting work, what would I know eh? Come to think of it, what would you know either eh? :shocked::wink:

Nevermind, things will work out, you just need to sit back and work outhow to get around the many obstacles.

How'syour resume/cv? If that isn't written as Australian employers likethen they'll likely just ignore it or it will not be scanned by therobots they use these days to review resumes and applications.

Youmight want to contact a local community centre for help in trying todeal with some of these problems. Are you registered as a job seeker?Centrelink and Job Search Agencies can help you out by referrals andassistance and it's worth a try.

http://www.communitycentressa.asn.au/- this is where you can find your local community centre which may beable to assist.

Bestof luck with your inquiries.

Hi Anil,

what you're going through is the reality in Australia nowadays for many of us here.

Starting from scratch is likely to be a normal part in most of immigration stories I've heard and also been through myself and also my partner has unsecure work, you're not the only one.

Besides, we all have plenty of overseas job experience, too and can hardly find or stay in a decent job because the job market is so tight and highly competitive.

I guess it is clear for everyone that migration is an adventure with risks. Some people can cope with difficult circumstances, other people not.

You might try it interstate? Are you looking for jobs in your field in other states? Proving that you couldn't find a job here gives you a change of releasing from the state sponsorship requirement.

Anil,

• Do you have a well-written CV that is targeted at the Australian Engineering market?
  • Have you created a LinkedIn profile to help connect to businesses and agencies?
  • Have you been to the many recruitment agencies in Adelaide? http://employment.byron.com.au/recruiters/adelaide

If people have been judgmental I think it is because the government make it very clear during the visa process that they will provide minimal assistance. I guess State Sponsorship sounds like there will be more help than there actually will be.

One piece of advice I would like to offer, don't think that you can't retrain - or at least take a sidestep into another role. You may have had a good and well-respected job in your country of origin, but that does not mean that you will be able to take a similar position straight away here. Be prepared to start at the bottom, or even make sideways moves. As a new migrant you will have to be adaptable, I'm 41 and have been in my line of work for many years, but that wouldn't stop me applying and training for other roles if the situation demanded.

It must be really tough being here with no job and your family back home. Hope that you get on your feet soon.

Good luck,

David

Edited by beebul

This website might help

http://www.engineeringdaily.net/10-resume-tips-for-engineers/

Not all Australian companies will prefer Australian workers. I did some temping at a company which made mining equipment and the owner said he preferred workers from overseas as they had a good work ethic. The workforce there was like the United Nations!

When did you arrive in Adelaide, how long have you been looking for work?

Have you attended one of the information sessions that are run by Immigration SA? These provide advice and guidance on job seeking, training services and professional english studies. Information on these sessions can also be found on this website and there is another session planned for 12 March, see the link below.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/38233-sa-govt-information-sessions-new-arrivals.html

What were your reasons for migrating to Adelaide? In my opinion, if people are emigrating purely for the reason of work and that reason only and are only prepared to work in their profession and at the same level you are likely to struggle. While it might not be what people want to hear, the reality is that many migrants (myself included) may have to work at a lower level, take a sideways step, retrain and have periods of unemployment (which you need to make financial provision for). You have to be flexible and adaptable in your approach to work. I think people need to be honest with themselves and other family members about whether they are truely up for the challenge before they come.

Speaking as someone who has worked in recruitment roles, it is obvious that English is not your first language and this will be a problem gaining work at a professional level. If I receive hundreds of applications for a professional level role, all with high level skill sets, why would I recruit someone who can't demonstrate a good comprehension of English when I have hundreds of other people to choose from?

The job you start off with, doesn't need to be the job that you stay with. Look at the bigger picture. I have a Polish friend that came to Adelaide to study English. They had a very good standard of living in Poland and were working at a professional level. They couldn't speak a word of English and could only get a job as a cleaner, which they did without complaints. Their standard of English now is excellent (probably better than mine ha ha) and they now run their own successful IT business in Adelaide.

If I was in your position, my priority would be to gain any work, so that my wife and child could come over and we could be reunited as a family.

Edited by Jessica Berry

I got skilled visa on the basis of my experience of 20 Years and engineering qualification. I was assessed successful as Engineer by Engineers Australia.I am offered membership of Engineers Australia on the basis of above qualities. When I went to apply for the job I was told that my experience and qualification are not recognised by the Australian market. Govt recognises it but market do not.Here my calculation of settlement went awry.Now struggle is not for a year or two.I have to start from scratch for which a man of my age is veri veri difficult if not impossible. I read everything in immigration web site but no manual or rule book has mention of it.

Another post of yours suggests you arrived in Aus late Jan and started this thread three weeks later. Many migrants - probably the majority - wouldn't manage to land a job in such a short time, especially given how many companies are still in holiday mode until the end of Jan and any vacancies they have would only now be going through the process of being filled. The doom and gloom about starting again from scratch being difficult/impossible etc seems somewhat premature.

Any migrant arriving here should be able to support themselves for at least a few months - plenty of documentation and checklists that make this requirement clear. If you arrive here knowing the deal but without the means to support yourself, I really don't think it's fair for the state to be expected to stump up cash.

Getting a positive skills assessment but then not being recognised 'on the ground' is common in various professions and a quick Google search gives easily enough examples and experiences to raise that as a potential issue.

I'm a regular contributor to this board and have been for years; I don't post on here only because I need the answer to something. I do try to give information if I have it to those who ask for it. Not liking the information because it's not what you want to hear is a risk you run when you ask a question on an open forum like this.

On a practical note, if the English in your cover letters and CV is similar to your usage of words on here, you really need to ask someone to tweak it or you'll be at a disadvantage regardless of your skills and experience.

Another post of yours suggests you arrived in Aus late Jan and started this thread three weeks later. Many migrants - probably the majority - wouldn't manage to land a job in such a short time, especially given how many companies are still in holiday mode until the end of Jan and any vacancies they have would only now be going through the process of being filled. The doom and gloom about starting again from scratch being difficult/impossible etc seems somewhat premature.

OMG, if Jim is correct with this timeline, I am not sure why you are panicking at such an early stage. I and others have written on this forum many times about the time it takes to secure work especially if people are arriving towards the end of the year/Christmas period.