Guest TK-421

Buying car in another state and reregistering in SA, worth it?

Guest TK-421

Self explanatory really. Looking to buy a Prius but not much choice in SA. Is it worthwhile buying in Victoria and then registering in SA?

I remember doing this with a QLD car in WA and it wasn't too bad. I've had a look around but cant find the costs.

Yes. I did it with a 1 year old territory bought in Melbourne. Get the price ex on the road fees then go to your local Rego / driving licence office to get the SA road costs. You'll need a form from the dealer allowing you to drive for 14 days (back to SA) without licence plates - form memory its less than $50. My saving paid for a 5 day road trip along the Great Ocean Road and flights to Melbourne. However I bought a new ute a year ago and the local SA dealer matched the VIC dealer so it pays to haggle.

Guest TK-421

Haha! Yes I may be a bit mad but I think that buying a prius is perfectly sane.

Thanks for the info. In choosing my car my choices are about as random as it gets. I started at a Prado, then a Kia Sorrento, then a defender and now i'm hovering over a prius.

Thankfully I'm going to hold off on the prius purchase for a while until I know what i'm doing work wise. No point in spending bucks if the car is going to sit on the driveway while I catch a train each day.

I'm 95% settled on the sorento for my wife.

Guest millymandy

I bought a car from QLD, had it sent here, and then got it inspected and registered here. It was very straightforward and problem-free!