Performing arts specific schooling, Aberfoyle Park High any good?

minkyme29

hi all

We currently live out of the zone in HC but have a child going into year 8 in 2015 who has been identified as gifted in Dance. According to their website APHS offers extensive areas of study in Performing arts and having visited today, on the face of it their facilities are probably more impressive than at her current school (HC R-12), BUT we would like to hear your experiences of the school in general and also with any specific experiences of the balance of education for budding dancers or actors alike.

She does attend extra curricular dance lessons but we would love her to attend a school that offers regular opportunities for growth in these areas also.

(And just to say private education is currently out of the question due to financial limitations).

Experiences please?

Thank you

:-)

PS I should probably add that we're passionate about helping her pursue dance because she has a specific learning disorder that makes many other areas of her education extremely challenging and she currently generally dislikes school.

Edited by minkyme29

we would like to hear your experiences of the school in general and also with any specific experiences of the balance of education for budding dancers or actors alike.

PS I should probably add that we're passionate about helping her pursue dance because she has a specific learning disorder that makes many other areas of her education extremely challenging and she currently generally dislikes school.

I would book a tour with the counsellors there so you can see for yourself!

Both my kids went through their high school years there. One was in the Ignite program and the other was mainstream and I was very happy with the school. The teachers are dedicated and very approachable, as is the Principal.

The dance program is great and they have a beautifully kitted out dance studio as well as a full theatre. They have a dance production twice a year and offer dance to SACE Year 11. It used to be offered in Year 12, but I believe that finished a coule of years ago.

Furthermore, kids who are identified as having particular learning needs (have a statement or a negotiated learning plan) are supported in class and may even be able to access the Learning Support program. This gives further support in the Learning Support classroom which has a higher ratio of staff to students.

Although you may not be in the zone, you might find that your daughter's learning disorder will qualify her for a place, or simply that there is space in that Year level.

HTH,

:wubclub: LC

Edited by Lazy Cow
Wrong emoticon haha!

Thank you LC, I really appreciate your assistance. As mentioned my DD and I took a tour yesterday and we were generally impressed with the facilities.

She does receive learning support at HC R-12 and having looked through the forms I am concerned that she may not be offered a place because of that. I'm hoping that recognition of her dance abilities in conjunction with better more specialized performing arts facilities at APHS might swing it though?

Another consideration is transport, the Principal mentioned that there are several school buses servicing the local area but am unsure about a service running from HC to APHS. There is so much to think about!

I agree that perhaps talking with the counsellor might be worthwhile also...I'm training as one atm so am quite good at encouraging my girls to use that facility at school too.

Also the Principal Liz Mead suggested I make direct contact email with the dance teacher to see what she can offer my DD. They have confirmed that she won't do classical ballet, which is understandable given that it is highly technical but I'd like to think she'll be doing some other than just Hip Hop! (No offence to hip hop dancers, I like it but DD isn't keen).

Thanks again for your help

:biggrin:

Edited by minkyme29

• 3 months later...

Hi minkyme29 just read your post and although I can't help as I don't know much about the high schools yet I just wanted to wish your daughter luck with her dance training and also say how lovely it is to hear parents supporting dance (I am a dance secondary school teacher and there are so many kids who opt or want to opt for dance but their parents are really unsupportive of it - it drives me insane!). I hope you found a good school with great dance provision :-)

Hi Kooky

Thanks for your response. I'm pleased to be able to give you an update. At the end of last term we attended the Aberfoyle Park high school Dance show at the Hopgood theatre....one word...BRILLIANT! We were open mouthed it was so good. It was clear that many of the soloists were ballet trained, (extra curricular outside of school) but even so we were impressed with the formatting and choreography as well as the ability of the performers. The dance teacher is clearly something special and her work combined with the passion of some truly great dancers made for a very entertaining evening.

Now for the exciting bit...we found out on Friday that DD has been offered a place at APHS for 2015 onwards. She was over the moon!

So exciting times ahead!

And thanks for your support. We're passionate about supporting her particularly because she has a learning issue that makes academia stressful for her. For now dance is what enable her to shine and who wouldn't want that for their child?

Thanks again for your best wishes

Bye for now :-)