Moving out to adelaide any tips

Daviesfamily adelaide

Can't believe it it's only 2 1/2 months till we fly out, and 3 weeks till our stuff gets shipped. We have had some tips off people, but any advice on what to ship and what not to ie: do we need to keep winter coats. Any advice on what we need to do when we first get there, we are going to rent in hallet cove so if anyone has any good contacts that would be helpful

Guest trevthetruckie

save money on freight - if you have more than a 20 ft container consider selling your surplus furniture it cost us a small fortune to ship here the replacement cost was cheaper (white goods are cheaper here ) got ripped off bringing our tv here it broke down was cheaper to buy a new one here . its getting cold here now coming into winter bring your coats wishing you all the best trev

Guest Claire-n-tel
Wow, things must have changed in the last 6 years. When we got here (with no furniture) white goods were WAY more expensive here. Tv's were the only thing we found cheaper.

Blossom, that is still the case as far as i've seen......maybe Trev the truckie could let us in on where to find them cheaper?!:wink:

Guest Guest12727

Remember the exchange rate has changed considerably in the last year. It was around $1.50 to the pound, now tipping $2.00 to the pound. So a GBP1000 fridge in UK converted to $1500 here a year ago, now converts to almost $2000 here. So if you can get a similar fridge for $1800 it is now cheaper in Oz.

On things like white goods, it is worth considering how old they are (ie will they be due replacement in the next few years anyway) and are they functional in Oz. Fridges here tend to be much larger, but a washing machine is pretty much the same. Also consider energy efficiency of your fridge. Fridges take a beating here in summer and an inefficient one will add a lot to electricity bills. Cost considerations aren't just about the layout cost.

If you need to leave some things behind due to space, that is the sort of thought process I would use.

If you are bringing your UK beds, and you use fitted sheets, bring plenty as the sizing here is slightly different (doesn't really matter for flat sheets). If you aren't bringing a bed, don't bring sheets either, get them here to match the Oz bed size.

Clothing is personal. You will need coats, but probably not as many. Warm scarves are great too but we don't ususlly wear gloves or hats against the cold.

Edited by Guest12727

Guest Guest12727
I wear gloves and hats, as do most people I work with (but for some reason scarves are not really worn by men here).

Fair enough Blossom, but you work outside. So it does depend on your occupation. Having said that, there are plenty of outside workers who seem to wear shorts all year round. :wacko:

OH and me used to wear gloves and hat in journey to work in UK, still catch public transport here and have never worn them (in ten years). Son has never owned a pair of gloves. Only hats worn are beanies to a footy game and footy scarves. I was referring to smart winter hats, rather than woollen beanies. Some parents wear gloves to watch kids winter sport early on a Sat/Sun morning.

Yes, I don't think men wear scarves much, unless its a Crows or Port scarf, but I find wearing a warm scarf makes enough of a difference here on my journey with a coat that it is all I need.

Remember the exchange rate has changed considerably in the last year. It was around $1.50 to the pound, now tipping $2.00 to the pound. So a GBP1000 fridge in UK converted to $1500 here a year ago, now converts to almost $2000 here. So if you can get a similar fridge for $1800 it is now cheaper in Oz.

Well it did reach the dizzy heights of £1=£1.89 in January but it has fallen back to £1 = $1.79, hasn't been 2:1 or over since July 2009!!! Back in March last year it was as low as £1 = $1.45 so it has improved considerably.

Guest Guest12727
Well it did reach the dizzy heights of £1=£1.89 in January but it has fallen back to £1 = $1.79, hasn't been 2:1 or over since July 2009!!! Back in March last year it was as low as £1 = $1.45 so it has improved considerably.

I did say tipping, and used round numbers so I wouldn't have to get my calculator out. The point is the same.

This is what we paid last week. It was higher just before xmas (0.51). We make a payment like this weekly for business.[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: label, align: right]Exchange rate:[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: small]1 Australian Dollar = 0.5343 British Pounds

The advertised rate isn't always what you get in reality. This is a rate we pay without extra fees. We could probably getter a better rate but then pay a currency exchange fee, which is a % of the amount. We do in fact do this as well, it is swings and roundabouts.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest lilgal89

We're not shipping anything either, we've been on a few Aussie sites recommended by Aussie friends as to where we can buy electricals, furniture etc and I've been on a few sites that were recommended on this forum and the majority of the things are the same price or slightly cheaper. Suppose it also depends on how high end your going.