About to make the move to Adelaide --- kinda scared!

Guest Raamis

Guest Raamis

Hi everyone!

My first post here. I am originally from Pakistan but been living in the US for almost 10 years now, a professional engineer working in automotive industry. I got approved for SN 190 through SA sponsorship and now planning on landing down there in first week of July. I've been reading all the horror stories about shortage of employment opportunities specially in SA region and that has - honestly - put heavy dampers on any excitement moving down under.

While there have been many many useful tips and supportive posts from forum members for those about to take the plunge, my primary concern & priority at this point is to find an initial place to stay after landing and some sort of social help in getting my feet on the ground in a totally new environment.

I am single male, 40, no kids, clean and quiet. If there's any help available, please direct me to the right direction.

Also, if any members know of any social group of Pakistanis in Adelaide, that would be a tremendous help as well.

Regards.

Guest Guest12727

Hi Raamis,

Take a look on Airbnb.com.au for some accomodation initially. You might be able to get something fairly central and be in a house with person(s) who would just love to help you out. Don't be scared off by the nightly price as you can negotiate for longer stay.

Alternatively the Youth Hostels in Adelaide are quite good, and people of all ages stay there. Again, an opportunity to meet with others finding their way around.

Guest Raamis

Blossom: Thanks a bunch and No, I have no idea about any specific locations. Just have Adelaide in mind so far. How is the public transport there? Is it something that can be a reliable alternative to having own car to get around the city and surrounding suburbs?

Claire-n-tel: Thanks for digging it out for me. I had shot an email to PAA, haven't heard back but I will post a message to their facebook page.

Howde: I glanced through Airbnb, seems plenty of reasonable rental listings available.

How is the Craigslist in Australia. Do people use it frequently for rentals, buying/selling household items and looking for jobs? It's very handy here in the US but also lot of spam and fraud listings there too.

Blossom: Thanks a bunch and No, I have no idea about any specific locations. Just have Adelaide in mind so far. How is the public transport there? Is it something that can be a reliable alternative to having own car to get around the city and surrounding suburbs?

Claire-n-tel: Thanks for digging it out for me. I had shot an email to PAA, haven't heard back but I will post a message to their facebook page.

Howde: I glanced through Airbnb, seems plenty of reasonable rental listings available.

How is the Craigslist in Australia. Do people use it frequently for rentals, buying/selling household items and looking for jobs? It's very handy here in the US but also lot of spam and fraud listings there too.

On the public transport thing, it depends a lot on where in Adelaide you live. Where I live I have the choice of two different bus routes to get to the city, both of which run every ten to fifteen minutes at peak times and then every half an hour at other times. The north east generally is pretty well served for public transport with the O-bahn and paradise interchange acting as a great point to go anywhere from. Some areas though aren't as well served. If you have an area in mind you can check out adelaidemetro.com.au for the public transport timetables for that area.

I've never heard of Craigslist, but we do have gumtree and ebay for buying and selling things. Plenty of scams on gumtree though so apply the normal common sense rules about Internet safety. Job sites are generally considered to be seek and careerone, although there is also a government site for government jobs that don't always make it on to the other site. For long term rentals have a look on realestate.com.au or check in the local paper once you are here.